Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'morning folks, newbie to the forum.
We've owned this '10 RAV4 Sport 2.5 4cyl. since new, never had a problem other than general maintenance. 208K miles.
Stepson parked it at a store Sat. and it wouldn't start when he returned.
Battery is hot, even had large jumper cables on it that I use to start heavy equipment. Over 1/4 tank of gas. Can hear fuel pump running while cranking. All fuses are good. It will fire on starting fluid, then die.
It seems that it's not getting fuel.
From research on the internet I concluded that if it fired on the fluid it shouldn't be the crank or cam sensors. Someone mentioned the engine immobilizer and a procedure to reset. I'll try that this afternoon, but does anyone here have anymore input?
Thanks, any help will be appreciated, Jeff

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Does your vehicle have an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser system installed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is possible that the pump will run and not deliver fuel if the hose on the pickup line gets a crack. It will suck air. To prove your fuel pump is pumping, you could unhook one side of filter to test for flow. I am leaning will fuel delivery, since you stay it starts on starting fluid.

·
Registered
210 Posts
His original post stated it did run on starting fluid, by dies right after.
Sorry missed that. Not too familiar with the RAV 4 yet but on other cars the engine temp sensor can cause problems starting if it is bad. If it is supplying a low temp to computer the computer will have fits and cause starting issues. A good scan tool will show engine temp. I just bought a hybrid Rav4 a few months ago but on my other cars there is a prime cycle when you turn the key and you can hear the pump run. Maybe it you listen to the filler neck with cap off you hear it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone, just letting you know that I got the car fixed. Sorta feel like an idiot. Stepson admitted that he ran over a curb a few days before the car quit, high centered it and had to be pulled off. I looked under the car and noticed the gas tank was caved in pretty bad. This was keeping the float for the gauge from going lower than 1/4 of a tank. The car was out of gas!
Figured that I couldn't do any more damage, so I used compressed air to pressurize the tank and pop the dent out. Poured in two gallons of gas and we're back on the road.
Thanks all for the responses, I'll stop by from time to time and see if I can chime in on a thread or two.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
Thank you for "The Rest of the Story." Paul Harvey--Good day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts