Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 RAV4 (4WD limited) turns 10 years old next month and just started on my 3rd set of tires. I took the spare tire cover off to take a look at the original full size spare tire. It still looks brand new! I only have to fill it with air every 2, maybe 3 years. However, I've read that you should never drive on tires over 10 years old. How long before you think I should just replace it with a cheap full size tire? Of course, if I needed it in an emergency I would never drive more than 10 miles or so. Is everyone else just keeping their original full size spare? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My 2010 Base V6 also has its original spare on the door. Never been used and it looks brand new, like yours. Like you say, if I need it in an emergency, it'll only be for a few miles at most, so I'm going to leave it on the door under it's cover!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
My 2009 V6 Sport has the original brand new spare tire which makes it 12 years old. I already had 2 nail puncture but never used the spare tire yet. I just filled the tire with air which means I can still drive it for a short distance until I get the tire fixed. I highly doubt my spare tire will ever be used but if it does it will only be used only for emergency.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
We don't put many miles on our cars so our tires typically are at least 10 years old before we replace them. Have never had a tire failure, includes my motorcycle which has a 13 year old tire. Vehicles are garaged when not used, out of sunlight which causes a lot of tire deterioration. If tires have no signs of distress such visible deterioration,cracks, bulges, or leaks and of course assuming that tread wear is within the wear limit they ordinarily should be fine,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input! I agree, with it being covered AND garaged AND looking brand new, I'll keep it a while longer. Depending on how long I keep the car, maybe at some point in the future I'll just have the shop swap it out with the cheapest tire they have for piece of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts