Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the Iridium spark plugs in my Rav a few weeks ago, not really because they needed to be, but because they were on sale at Advance Auto Parts.

The stock Iridium plugs had 77K miles on them when I took them out, and looked like they could have easily hit 100K miles. I pulled them out every 20K miles or so to inspect, and they have held up very well.

Anyway, my Rav came from the factory with Denso Iridiums, but Toyota specifies that either the Denso or the NGK Iridiums can be used. Although both were available to me, the Densos are about $20 versus the NGK's at $6 each, so it was an easy decision. They come pre-gapped, but I checked them anyway before I put them in.

I applied some anti-sieze and torqued them down by hand. You have to be careful with aluminum heads, because the metal is so soft that threads get stripped easily. I stripped one of the bolt holes for the air box bracket and had to tap a new one.

I would go with the Denso/NGK Iridiums whether you car needs them or not, because they seem to hold up very well. Just don't use any of the Bosch plugs, because they have a history of not working well with Toyotas.

G

·
0 Posts
Do all RAV4's come with these plugs (factory)?

Man! They last longer than the timing belt.

G

·
0 Posts
nouse4aname said:
01+ RAVs have a timing chain, not belt.:p The stock plugs are supposed to be good for 120,000 miles.

Cool 8)

Are we still suppose to replace it at 60,000 miles?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A few months ago I changed the oem iridium Denso plugs on wifey's 99 RX300 with 116k miles believing the plugs would be shot. I installed a new set of NGK iridiums. Well, I measured the used plugs gap and they were right at the prescribed gap! Like no wear?! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done the work myself. Those iridium plugs are fantastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts