Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, our cars have tiny little 3sfe engines. I drive An acura TL and an Acura TSX regularly. I can't bear the horrid acceleration our little light duty trucks give us. When mine reached middle age at the 100,000 mile mark i threw some of that restore oil treatment in to see if it did anything. I expected nothing and was greeted with a smoother, stronger, throatier sounding pull in the low to mid RPM range. My sticky idle control valve problem also disapeared after running the newly powerful rav really hard. (don't know if it has to do with the oil treatment or the 3 hours of drag strip testing to see if the numbers matched when it was new. Acceleration is back yay! ) This stuff is awesome. Even our invincible toyota engines can use a little help. Go buy it, it costs 5 dollars and will give you a boost back to brand new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My '98 with 270,000 miles runs stronger and smother than my 2000 at 80,000 miles. But we did do a complete tuneup on the '98 at 260,000 miles + water pump and timing belt. The more miles the better they run.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the restore oil treatment called and where did you get it. I only have around 65,000 miles on my RAV but it would be good to have for the future.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just that, restore, i bought it at nappa. put it in now, it won't hurt

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, that is it, no my engine does not need an overhaul. Even our super reliable toyotas wear with age. The Car ran fine before, this just made it run better. My car is fine, just runs like new again. Scratches that are big enough to detriment performance start at around 40 thousand miles. You can use Restore in a fairly new engine and experiance benefits. The car has 100,450 miles on it as of this morning.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
My RAV4.1 has 54,400 miles on it. I'm still using 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil in it. Some people say that is an error. But it works fine for me. Oh, I installed an oil cooler [trans-axle cooler also]. They work fine and the oil is still clear after 4,000 miles. I hope when I install the turbo kit, I can say the same. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say keep up the 3000 miles or 3 mos faithfully...Becareful putting some of those engine additives, most of them contains TEFLON and it may add to your carbon build up that's already built up in your valves...As this can cause to poor engine compression.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Stelly said:
My '98 with 270,000 miles runs stronger and smother than my 2000 at 80,000 miles. But we did do a complete tuneup on the '98 at 260,000 miles + water pump and timing belt. The more miles the better they run.
WOW 270k... where have you been driving that thing??? :eek:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Stelly is a rural mail carrier I believe, so he drives a lot.

I have an 01 with the AZFE engine and just over 61K miles on it, and it runs better than it did when it was new. Never added anything in a bottle or did a tuneup, except once I threw in a bottle of FI cleaner in the gas tank. I agree with Stelly, the more miles they have the better they run, heck 100K miles is barely broken in for a Toyota. I have used Mobil 1 5W30 since the car hit 10K miles, and changed it every 5K miles since. I do perform routine preventative maintenance, however I also believe in the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

If you live in a moderate climate, don't regularly beat on your engine, and it doesn't leak any oil, stick with 5W-30. Otherwise, if you live in a hot climate like Mensagero, or you beat on your engine, or it leaks oil, then you can move to 10W40.

Change the oil and filter at 3K for conventional and 5K for synthetic.

I've heard a few people rave about those "engine tuneups in a bottle" but I have also heard bad stuff about them. I personally stay away from them because they are mostly a short term fix and may cause more problems in the long run. They worked fine on older cars but can mess up newer engines by causng new deposits, dislodging existing deposits, and destroying seals.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep - mail carrier - 230 miles a day is what I put on it. 170 on the route and to and from the Post Office. My 2000 I bought April 10th with 31,000 and it now has 84,000.
I use Valvoline Maxlife 10-30 in the '98 since it had 90,000 on it. It still burns no oil and runs great. BTW - the auto transmission has only had fluid changes too -

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2001 Rav4 has 100,930 miles and still runs great!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stelly said:
I love to see those numbers Stelly! 8)

I've got a 120,000+miles on my '97, and it running great! Been using 5w-30 Mobil 1 oil since I got it, and just matain my RAV like clockwork. If you take care of your RAV, it will take care of you...no doubt about it. :wink:

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Stelly said:
Yea Stelly, where have you been driving that thing. With that mileage, I think you have gone around the world a couple of times already. :roll:

·
Registered
986 Posts
According to my calculations Stelly, your '98 Rav has traveled a distance that is equivalent to more than 10 trips around the world!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They should make a "Stelly Special Edtion" RAV4 in honor of Stelly's miliage and loyalty! :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
The farmers and people on my route sure have a lot of respect for the Toyota RAV4. Most of them think the 2000 is the '98 - only difference is the cladding color. Some say it is the most dependable car they have seen. And they are right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my first-ever RAV4 back in October 2009, and have enjoyed it immensely. I used to work for a Toyota Dealership here in Grand Island, NE, & always wanted to own one. Here it is, 10 years after leaving that dealership and I finally own my first one!! Mine had 144,713 with a fresh 90K service having been done on it in Feb 2008, so it say for awhile before I bought it at a local used-car lot. So far, I have changed the oil on it twice using Mobil 1 oil & Mobil 1 filters, put in a new K&N drop-in air filter, & a new battery. Did the first tire rotation on it today at 149K. Am very pleased with how it performs both mechanically & economically, as I am averaging around 26-27 MPG even thru the winter months!! I drive 20 miles one way 5-7 days a week to my job, as well as haul a couple of tool boxes in the back. Most everyone I know has had a comment or two on the color but I like it cuz it stands out & I have yet to see another RAV4 in the paint color of mine!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm running 5w-40 fully synthetic. No additives.
But I chose this oil to run in several petrol cars, Rav 2.0, Mini 1.6, VW Passat 1.8T, where my cars do low mileages and oil changes can be every two years.

This is with a Motul (EU) oil (X-clean), which has VW 502, 505.01, Renault, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes Benz long-life oil specs. i.e. a very high spec oil.

I found Mobil 1 did not meet the 505.01 spec, so whilst it is good, there are oils with more demanding approvals.

Climate worst case -15 to +30 centigrade. Average around 0 to +20

If the HTHS is below 3.5 then be aware that you might have a faster rate of wear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts