Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first experience of the real life durability needs of my RAV4. 20, 50 litre bags of somewhat wet soil. 1000 litres of cargo was no problem. I figured the total weight was around 1250 lbs. The rear was visibly squished down but there was no bottoming out on bumps on the way home. Regular acceleration and braking was not noticeably stressed at all.

ok bye.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That's good to know, but it's important to understand that if you drive more than a few miles, OR any distance at highway speeds, you need to air the rear tires up to the max psi on the sidewalls or they will overheat rapidly.

Also understand that exceeding the GVWR as you did is a little hazardous and not especially good for the vehicle. It's fine in moderation for short trips, every now and then.

And BTW, estimating cargo weight is usually pretty unreliable - in my experience I ALWAYS underestimate the weight of stuff like gardening supplies and rocks. I have sometimes been appalled when I then either calculated the total using supplied figures or actually weighed the vehicle. If you have a travel trailer and have ever taken it to a truck scale, you probably understand what I am talking about - those things pork up fast when you start loading gear for a two week family trip. Be careful....

John Davies
Spokane WA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts