Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I caught a nail in my tire. In the process of re-inflating the tire with a portable tire pump, the 12 V port I used to power the pump stopped working. Since I only have 2 ports, I did not have the guts to try the tire pump with the other 12 V port that thankfully still works.

The folks at my local Toyota dealership said that the problem can't be the fuse since both 12 Valentin ports use the same fuse.

Has anyone had this happen to their car? Does anyone have any theories to explain this malfunction?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Maybe the dealership guy is wrong(not the first time!), my manual show two power outlet fuses in the fuse block under the left side of the instrument panel, power outlet 1 at #8 and power outlet 2 at #17.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
These 12 volt power ports are rated at 10 amps and fused at 15 amps. If you compressor pulls more than 15 amps, even briefly, it will blow the fuse.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Get an adapter for your 12 V air compressor so you can hook up directly to the battery!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe the dealership guy is wrong(not the first time!), my manual show two power outlet fuses in the fuse block under the left side of the instrument panel, power outlet 1 at #8 and power outlet 2 at #17.
You were right and the dealer was wrong. I checked both fuses and as expected, #8 is blown. #8 corresponds to the power outlet farthest from the driver. Now I just need to find a matching fuse and I will be good to go.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
You were right and the dealer was wrong. I checked both fuses and as expected, #8 is blown. #8 corresponds to the power outlet farthest from the driver. Now I just need to find a matching fuse and I will be good to go.
There should be a few spare fuses under the hood in the passenger side fuse box. Might even find a little white fuse puller in there.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There should be a few spare fuses under the hood in the passenger side fuse box. Might even find a little white fuse puller in there.

Great idea, but he needs to make sure he pulls a spare fuse and not a fuse protecting a circuit.

:surprise

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the fuse pulling tool, but I didn't see the spare fuses. I will look again when it is light outside.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
I found the fuse pulling tool, but I didn't see the spare fuses. I will look again when it is light outside.
The spares should be indicated by the little "map" inside the cover.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, there are no spare 15 A fuses. However a box low profile fuses are quite inexpensive at any autoparts store and after a quick fuse replacement, all is well with the 12 V port. My experience here further proves why you should consult RAV4 world in addition your Toyota dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts