Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my miserable experience and opinion with installing the remote starter on my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid. The plain and simple explanation was they were not ready to take this product to market, and did. They didn't have the promised installation videos. They didn't have a harness video, and the PDF instructions had the ECM connector and the associated wire location completely wrong. The connector was not by the BCM connection, as the instructions said, but nearly two feet away and above the gas pedal! The splice included with the kit was oversized also. I gave them several chances to compensate me for my lost time due to their mistake, and they only ignored me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wanted to share my miserable experience and opinion with installing the remote starter on my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid. The plain and simple explanation was they were not ready to take this product to market, and did. They didn't have the promised installation videos. They didn't have a harness video, and the PDF instructions had the ECM connector and the associated wire location completely wrong. The connector was not by the BCM connection, as the instructions said, but nearly two feet away and above the gas pedal! The splice included with the kit was oversized also. I gave them several chances to compensate me for my lost time due to their mistake, and they only ignored me.

Have you been able to get it to work now? I been looking at that remote starter specifically for a while but reluctant to buy it. This helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you been able to get it to work now? I been looking at that remote starter specifically for a while but reluctant to buy it. This helps
Here's another thread where I wrote about it

·
Registered
54 Posts
They must have changed the connector locations, because the youtube video they have for the rav4 here:

Is absolutely perfect. It took me 15 mins max to install mine. There was no connector anywhere near the gas pedal. 2 in the column, and 2 next to eachother in the main harness area. Then a quick button press sequence on the module and it was working.

It could not possibly have been easier. Like I can't actually think of anything they could have done to make it easier and more ready.

Just to provide a counterpoint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main point of my thread is that 12-volt solutions made no effort to compensate me for the research and development that I helped them with. Product worked eventually, but they won't make the purchase right; not even an attempt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They must have changed the connector locations, because the youtube video they have for the rav4 here:

Is absolutely perfect. It took me 15 mins max to install mine. There was no connector anywhere near the gas pedal. 2 in the column, and 2 next to eachother in the main harness area. Then a quick button press sequence on the module and it was working.

It could not possibly have been easier. Like I can't actually think of anything they could have done to make it easier and more ready.

Just to provide a counterpoint.
The video you provided is not from 12- volt solutions. 12- volt solutions didn't provide me with this video. I did find this, but it doesn't cover the hybrid part of the installation. None of the information initially provided by 12-Volt Solutions had the proper information. If it had been as easy as that video I would have been able to do the task quite simply.
I am after all a former USAF F-16 JET ENGINE MECHANIC. I also have certifications from three different gun and three different SCUBA manufacturers, as well as an HVAC certification from the Stàte of Michigan. It was not for a lack of technical skill that this couldn't be done. It was because 12-Volt Solutions had not made the proper preparations to take this product to market. The time delay in getting this done was in the misidentified wire harness, and it's misidentified shape, harness location, wire placement in the wrongly shaped harness, and wire color. If you are able to get past all that poor instruction, I bow down to your godlike powers, because I certainly couldn't figure out which of the hundreds of wires it was that needed to be spliced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The video you provided is not from 12- volt solutions. 12- volt solutions didn't provide me with this video. I did find this, but it doesn't cover the hybrid part of the installation. None of the information initially provided by 12-Volt Solutions had the proper information. If it had been as easy as that video I would have been able to do the task quite simply.
I am after all a former USAF F-16 JET ENGINE MECHANIC. I also have certifications from three different gun and three different SCUBA manufacturers, as well as an HVAC certification from the Stàte of Michigan. It was not for a lack of technical skill that this couldn't be done. It was because 12-Volt Solutions had not made the proper preparations to take this product to market. The time delay in getting this done was in the misidentified wire harness, and it's misidentified shape, harness location, wire placement in the wrongly shaped harness, and wire color. If you are able to get past all that poor instruction, I bow down to your godlike powers, because I certainly couldn't figure out which of the hundreds of wires it was that needed to be spliced.
For sure mine was not a hybrid. The only instructions for which hybrid wire to splice from their instructions is here:

Not super clear but given the pictures it doesn’t look that rough but I could see why you’d like better info. Can’t believe splicing that one wire added 7.75 hours to the normal 15
Minute install haha.

Maybe they will improve their documentation in the future though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For sure mine was not a hybrid. The only instructions for which hybrid wire to splice from their instructions is here:

View attachment 152461
Not super clear but given the pictures it doesn’t look that rough but I could see why you’d like better info. Can’t believe splicing that one wire added 7.75 hours to the normal 15
Minute install haha.

Maybe they will improve their documentation in the future though.
Yeap, those are improper instructions! The instructions you posted show the wrong wiring harness, in the wrong location, the described wire location within that harness was wrong, and the wire color was wrong. In actuality the wiring harness was not above the left foot, but high and above the right foot. The shape of the wiring connector was different, the color and location of that wire was different. Basically it was impossible to find with those instructions. Now could you stop being a nasty individual, and except that they made a mistake, that they won't compensate me for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12-volt solutions did make this right with me in time. They made a partial refund to cover my labor. Got it today.

·
Registered
54 Posts
12-volt solutions did make this right with me in time. They made a partial refund to cover my labor. Got it today.
Nice. Too bad it was such a hassle but it was nice that they did the refund. Man I use mine constantly now that it is summer haha. Leave the AC and cooled seats on before I leave the car. Remote start and those black softex seats that reach like a million degrees in the sun are nice and cool when I get in. Ahhh ya.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4
35 Posts
Does this add-on still follow the stock remote start practice of turning off once the door opens? Or does it continue to run??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remote start and those black softex seats that reach like a million degrees in the sun are nice and cool when I get in.
I wasn't stoked about the nutmeg seats when I first started looking online. When I saw them they weren't so bad. Now they have really grown on me. Never had to worry about hot seats.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ya the air conditioned seats are a life saver. That with the remote start sure makes life nicer. Same with the heated seats and steering wheel in the winter. Toasty!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts