Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Any recommendations for 120V and 240V in one Portable EV Charger for RAV4 Prime?
The OEM only lists a 120V-only Portable Charger.

Thank you for any ideas.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
51 Posts
As pointed out in MANY other posts, the OEM charger works on both 120 and 240 volts and draws 11.5 amps in both modes. This equates to 1.38 KW at 120V and 2.76 KW at 240V. By design, the current is limited to 80% of a standard 15 amp circuit. Agree: Just use the OEM charger that came with the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just use the OEM one.
Any money spent on a new cord can just be used to pay for charging or gas and it would take many thousands of miles before you'd break even on the cost.
I disagree with the approach/logic. Not everything in life can be decided based on payback or breakeven.
Perhaps 12 hours is too long to wait for a full recharge. In that case a L2 charger might be warranted.
I put in a Canadian built Grizz-le, and I am quite happy with that decision.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE
291 Posts
I disagree with the approach/logic. Not everything in life can be decided based on payback or breakeven.
Perhaps 12 hours is too long to wait for a full recharge. In that case a L2 charger might be warranted.
is it portable?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since the OP clearly stated that they were looking for a portable option, I think the OEM is the easiest choice. I also have a Grizzl-E L2 charger that I "Can" bring and connect to a 14-50 receptical, but I find that carrying that thing around would be bulky and impractical. The OEM and a simple adapter would give you both voltage options in a minimal package and you already own one. I've been using my OEM at 240v since I got my Prime and up until 2 weeks ago when I got my L2 installed.

dp

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Supersonic Red
296 Posts
I agree that payback times are not always high on my priority list. I bought a Level 1/2 plug-in EVSE from Amazon primarily because I wanted to track the KWh for the charges. Seems like something the car should be able to do, especially since the provided EVSE only had indicator lights. The one that I bought is no longer available as a plug-in, but a quick search brought up one that looks similar.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This post just gave me a smile, not because I disagree with it, but it reminded me of my R4P purchase itself. If I made that decision based on cost recovery alone, I’m calculating I would need more years than I have left. Most of the posters here, I suspect, aren’t going to achieve financial payback based on lower operating costs, either. That’s considering purchase price, of course. With my trade, I paid about $23,000 cash for the Prime, less an eventual tax saving of $5,300. How long would it take to save the difference in fuel? My previous vehicle was getting about 17-28 mpg, town and road. A loooong time.

I bought the Prime because I wanted one and could afford the expense. It wasn’t “sensible”, just enjoyable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is the obligatory post from someone after another post recommends plugging the OEM into a 240 volt outlet with an adapter.

Yes, it has worked for many. Will it work for you? Probably. Will you get a slower charge than a 240 EVSE that handles a higher amperage? Yes. Do you have the first OEM that will not handle 240 volt and you end up frying it, burning down your house or electrocuting yourself? Maybe. If you want a 240 volt EVSE save the money on an adapter for the cord and get a real 240 or one that is listed for both voltages. Or just live with the120 volt unless you are using a public charger.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bought a Lectron charger: Lectron Level 2 EV Charger - 110V 16 Amps with 21 ft Extension Cord - Compatible with J1772 EVs which lists right now for $192 (probably 5-15% off with coupons).
The plug fit tighter than the OEM but I find that reassuring. It doesn't give you a 120V option since you specify the plug when you purchase so that might be a drawback. I assume the 120/240V cords must have either multiple plugs or adapters. It charges at 240V at 4.5 hours for a full charge at 16A. I have been happy with it but then again I don't want or need lots of features.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ChargePoint home flex with NEMA 14-50 plug. Then make sure you have 220V 50amp Breaker service to the plug-in point. local utility gave me $400 rebate on Level 2 EVSE and $2000 for the circuit electrical work. I have a 6.6kw onboard charger in the car, so now home charging takes about 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE [sold]
571 Posts
This post just gave me a smile, not because I disagree with it, but it reminded me of my R4P purchase itself. If I made that decision based on cost recovery alone, I’m calculating I would need more years than I have left. Most of the posters here, I suspect, aren’t going to achieve financial payback based on lower operating costs, either. That’s considering purchase price, of course. With my trade, I paid about $23,000 cash for the Prime, less an eventual tax saving of $5,300. How long would it take to save the difference in fuel? My previous vehicle was getting about 17-28 mpg, town and road. A loooong time.

I bought the Prime because I wanted one and could afford the expense. It wasn’t “sensible”, just enjoyable.
I owned my prime for about 9 months, sold it for what I paid and received $7500 on top of that. I had to cash out.
It's a fine vehicle and all, but I don't want to own something that expensive, long term.
Some of us do calculate ROI on all major purchases.

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
260 Posts
The bummer is the OEM charger is designed with a hard to see release on the power cord to allow swapping to different format plug including 240Volts but as far I know, no firm sells the different cord ends that the charge cable was designed to accept.

Reactions: surfstar

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m planning on trying this because I have a 240V 30A outlet in my garage already (I can use OEM cable for 15A 240V)

Looks like a hunk of junk.
Website looks like total amateur hour.
I doubt this product is UL tested.
Why risk your PHEV, garage, or family using this Mickey Mouse garbage?
If you want fast charging, spend the $$ and put in a proper L2 unit.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
524 Posts
The bummer is the OEM charger is designed with a hard to see release on the power cord to allow swapping to different format plug including 240Volts but as far I know, no firm sells the different cord ends that the charge cable was designed to accept.
I have tried to get that release to give to see what’s under that cap. No joy. Anybody succeeded?

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
260 Posts
I have done it a couple of times, but dont remember how I did it.

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium.
679 Posts
Looks like a hunk of junk.
Website looks like total amateur hour.
I doubt this product is UL tested.
Why risk your PHEV, garage, or family using this Mickey Mouse garbage?
If you want fast charging, spend the $$ and put in a proper L2 unit.
While I might phrase it another way you sir are spot on, it's the definition of "sketchy" with maybe a little tragedy added for good measure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts