Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE, and about to buy. One thing bothers me: hybrid 12V batteries are pretty notorious for depleting quickly if you use accessories (radio, 120V outlet in cargo area, etc.) if the car is not being driven, or is not on in Ready mode when parked.

The dealership is telling me: "With the RAV4 Prime, you don't have to worry about that -- you can just park the car, use accessories all you want, and the ICE engine will automatically kick in to recharge the 12V as needed to avoid depletion. (And without having to turn the vehicle on to Ready mode.)"

Anyone know if that is true or false?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking at a 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE, and about to buy. One thing bothers me: hybrid 12V batteries are pretty notorious for depleting quickly if you use accessories (radio, 120V outlet in cargo area, etc.) if the car is not being driven, or is not on in Ready mode when parked.

The dealership is telling me: "With the RAV4 Prime, you don't have to worry about that -- you can just park the car, use accessories all you want, and the ICE engine will automatically kick in to recharge the 12V as needed to avoid depletion. (And without having to turn the vehicle on to Ready mode.)"

Anyone know if that is true or false?
To clarify: I know that the 12V battery is charged from the high-voltage (traction) battery through a voltage converter. If that's correct, then the more precise question would be:

If the traction battery gets low, and the car is parked and off, does the ICE kick in to charge the traction battery? Even in the middle of the night?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually the 12 volt battery only is charged by the traction battery when in READY mode. The ICE will not start if the car is not in READY mode.

So if you want unlimited 12 volt power, you have to leave the car in Ready mode. As such, the ICE will come on as needed to maintain adequate charge in the traction battery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the car is off, and only in ACC mode, then you can only pull off the 12V battery, and not the traction battery (they are two different things). No, the car will not charge the 12V battery unless it's in ready mode. This is a safety feature. If you want to leave the car off, and run something for an extended period of time that uses high current, I would recommend that you get an external battery, like a Jackery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both. Sounds like my salesperson needs to go back to school, or to the woodshed.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Thank you both. Sounds like my salesperson needs to go back to school, or to the woodshed.
If you think about it, the ICE starting by itself would be ludicrous since I park mine in an enclosed garage that is part of the house. I know, mine is gas only, but I definitely wouldn't want the ICE to start running in there where there is minimal ventilation.

Reactions: surfstar

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
207 Posts
Just so you know, the 120V outlet in the cargo area runs off the high-voltage battery, not the 12V. That's how they get the high 1500W rating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...the 120V outlet in the cargo area runs off the high-voltage battery...
Oooh. Now THAT'S interesting and desirable! So, I'm also getting all the longevity of the high-voltage battery?

If so, then that resolves one of my concerns: How does a scenario, as shown in this Toyota photo, actually work?
Land vehicle Trousers Car Tire Wheel

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oooh. Now THAT'S interesting and desirable! So, I'm also getting all the longevity of the high-voltage battery?

If so, then that resolves one of my concerns: How does a scenario, as shown in this Toyota photo, actually work?
That photo isn't showing a Prime, and therefore the 120V outlet is running off the 12V battery and is limited to 100W. In the Prime, you get 1500W from the 120V outlet, but you have to be in Ready mode. If the high-voltage battery runs low, the gas engine will automatically start to produce power. But again, you have to be in Ready mode. This essentially gives you the functionality of a gas generator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... but you have to be in Ready mode...
Ah, that makes it more clear. Thanks. I'm concluding that one should keep a lithium jump-start battery stored in the cargo area -- if you're paranoid like me about getting stranded with a dead 12V and unable to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the Prime, you get 1500W from the 120V outlet, but you have to be in Ready mode.
Sorry, one more question: To use the 120V outlet at all, the car has to be in Ready mode?

Or can I just use the 120V outlet when the car is off (and then turn on Ready mode to recharge as needed)?

The answer may be implied above, but I'm obviously new to this.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
152 Posts
Everyone here needs to learn that salespersons are NOT experts on these vehicles. In my experience they know absolutely nothing more than is printed in the brochure unless they have a mechanical background. Their job is to move the vehicle. Full stop. If telling you the engine will start to keep the 12V battery charged makes you buy the vehicle, then they did their job.

What they told you is completely false. The engine will never spontaneously start. What would happen if you parked in an enclosed garage?

The only way the 12V battery is charged is when the Hybrid System is turned on (the “Ready” position) which requires the key to be present with a button push, or remote start being activated.

That said, I have used my Prime for an extended period of time in Accessory mode. It will deactivate accessory mode after a period of time as it sees fit. You’d have to be trying really hard to drain a healthy 12V battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone here needs to learn that salespersons are NOT experts on these vehicles.
Yep, that's why I came here -- before deciding to buy.

That said, I have used my Prime for an extended period of time in Accessory mode. It will deactivate accessory mode after a period of time as it sees fit. You’d have to be trying really hard to drain a healthy 12V battery.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Is an "extended period of time" like 2 hours? More? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks, that's very helpful. Is an "extended period of time" like 2 hours? More? Much appreciated.
It's somewhere between 20-40 minutes. I got the impression it wasn't a set time but rather was dependent on the 12V battery's potential dropping to a pre-determined level. I didn't time it as I was waiting in an animal hospital parking lot. I went back and forth between Ready and Accessory for about six hours. Each time I was in accessory it would warn me after some time that it was about to turn off to preserve the battery, which in this case must mean the 12V battery.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry, one more question: To use the 120V outlet at all, the car has to be in Ready mode?
Correct, you cannot use the 120V outlet at all if the car is not in Ready mode. The button to activate the outlet doesn't do anything if it's not in Ready.

In my experience they know absolutely nothing more than is printed in the brochure
That's being generous. Most car sales people that I've dealt with know far less than what is printed in the brochure.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What do you guys mean by "ready mode"?
Is it: ignition on, car in EV mode, and shift lever in "park"?

Not that I even have that 120V outlet in my SE, but just wondering ....

·
Registered
207 Posts
What do you guys mean by "ready mode"?
Is it: ignition on, car in EV mode, and shift lever in "park"?

Not that I even have that 120V outlet in my SE, but just wondering ....
It’s when the green Ready light illuminates on the dash. It means the car is ready to drive. It’s the EV equivalent of the ignition being started.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It’s when the green Ready light illuminates on the dash. It means the car is ready to drive. It’s the EV equivalent of the ignition being started.
Correct. "Ready" is synonymous with "Ignition On", but for pedantic reasons "Ignition" doesn't make sense in a hybrid.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts