Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

13 front pad replacement

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  prechierav 
#1 ·
I am replacing the pads and rotors on a 2013 Limited AWD made in Canada. The 1210 and 1211 pads do not match the length of the old pads, they are about a 1/2 inch to short. This will not allow them to fit into the bracket.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ran into this issue?

#5 ·
I actually found out why the brake pads were the wrong size. The Rav4 I have is a 2013 Limited AWD with no 3rd row seating (2013 Rav4's were not made with 3rd row seating). Both Advanced and AutoZone gave me the brake pads that their computers said I needed by selecting the option with no 3rd row seating. Come to find out the brake pads I needed were the ones used for the option with 3rd row seating.

#8 ·
I have to look at my brake kit
- this spring we did the rear brakes, when the summer wheels went back on
- in Dec. will be putting the winter wheels on & the front brakes may be ready, for a change
- I know I have the larger rotors, but haven't checked for the correct pads
Thks for the reminder.

#6 ·
kagordon - on the Canadian Limited's.
Thks for sharing about the 3rd row seating (or lack of) & brake pad differences.
- our front breaks are coming up for replacement, I know our RAV has the larger rotors
- I measured them, on the hoist (last time) / now hope I have the correct front pads

FYI
Our 2008 Limited made for Canadian market, has tow package coolers, HD radiator & alternator, larger brakes & 140 amp fuse / as standard equipment...without the Class III receiver.

^^ Just some typical areas to confuse replacement parts selection.

#9 ·
If you have the V6, you have the larger 296mm rotors. If you have the I4 WITH 3rd row seating, you also have the larger 296mm rotors. If you have the I4 WITHOUT the 3rd row, you have the 275mm rotors. So, every RAV4 from 2013 on will use the smaller pads.

#12 ·
If i may, i'd like to correct JuneBug's statement above, i.e. '13, '14, '15 ~ the current '18 will have the 275 mm front rotors....?

Afaik, it's only the LE's that have the smaller (275) rotors for years '13 and up .... all the other trims (XLE and up) have the larger (296) front rotors.

It's the major thing I don't like with the Rav I got (LE)..smaller rotors, which i didn't know about because Toyota does not put it in the brochure(whether intentionally or not).

I hope they do not do this again for 2019 and up, and instead use the same rotor size for even the base trim (assuming there will be the same size engine and no 3rd row just like what was common to gen 4.4, same engine, same number of rows. )
If they want to cut down on cost of the base/LE for price differentiation, i think the nicer way to do it is take out things like roof rails, rear spoilers,..things that are non-SAFETY related...

For future buyers, please google "20xx Toyota Rav4 Product Info" to confirm the brake size/s as it will be mentioned in there, if it's not mentioned in the brochure as what was done on 4.4. ("xx" is model year)
Link for 2018 is provided below for example.
http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2018+toyota+rav4+product+info.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.