Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wife's car to GLD's opening day. Only got 2 runs in due to sheer amount of racers, and I didn't feel like waiting 1-2 hr for each additional run.

The slowest run was a 15.276 @ 89.39 mph. This represents the WORST this car will run. Entrance, tech, and staging took 1.5 hrs. I never shut the car off. So this run represents a heat-soaked run.

Temps were 46*, but there was a 10-15 mph headwind. Ran with 1/4 tankful, 93 oct.

Interestingly, if you leave the car in "D", the trans short-shifts at 6000 rpm instead of redline (6400 rpm). I had to run manual mode for the second run to eeek out those last 400 rpms.

The car had only 1000 miles on it, so I sure the engine is still tight. Also banged off the rev limiter for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, so there's still a lot left on the table. Pretty confident I can hit a 14.5 with the car, STOCK.

The looks on the faces of those in the stands when I drove back from the 14.8 run was pretty funny.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Niiiice!! 8) Don't beat your RAV too badly!

Looks to be right in tune with Car and Driver's 14.9 quarter, though I'm sure they left the tranny in full auto. :wink:

My biggest claim for acceleration is easily dusting one of the new Mustangs -- I'm sure that driver was surprised! :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
karrock said:
Looks to be right in tune with Car and Driver's 14.9 quarter, though I'm sure they left the tranny in full auto. :wink:
I highly doubt they left it in full auto. Look at their trap speed compared to mine.

If you have the V6 model, would you mind checking to see if yours also shift at 6K when left in "D".

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyingn said:
good times. What was your 60'?? If your brought up rpm while holding the brake it should be pretty decent
60': 2.183

I was using a 1500 rpm launch. With some many cars at the strip, I didn't have the opportunity to test higher stall speeds.

The first run I launched at 1000 rpm and got a 2.237 60' time.

I didn't get to play with tire pressures either.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Those are very solid times! Although the new Mustang GT's *should* be in the high 13 second range, it's right in line with the older 5.0's.

I had a stock 86 coupe (ex state patrol car) that went a best of 14.48. My stock 88 coupe (also an ex state patrol car) went 14.0's.

That 60 foot time is pretty solid! I have a hard time imagining it getting into the 1.8's (My 71 Buick GS455 with headers, good exhaust, 3.42's and DOT drag tires) consistently went high 1.8's to low 1.9's and ran 13.4's and 5's. I just can't imagine one of these having that kind of torque to move the similarly weighted RAV.

How high will it stall for you? I've got a 99 Ranger XLT 4.0 with 3.73's and the best 60 ft times were in the mid 2.2's (ET's in the low 17's). Interestingly, I could stall it up to around 2500 rpm.

From the sounds of things, you've made a few trips down the strip in the past, which is good. Eventually you'll get out there on a day with less racers and get to really find its "sweet spot."

I'm glad to see that this thing is solidly into the 14's stock!

·
Registered
771 Posts
"mhgsx" How does you're wife feel about you haul-in' her RAV down a drag strip?

Bet it was fun though. Something I haven't had the opportunity to do. Someday with the right car.

M.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVERY car is the right car. Who said having fun is only limited to those with fast cars?

As for my wife's thoughts about me racing her car........like she has a say in that! :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flyingn said:
with awd traction is not an issed so you should raise th etire pressure to lower the coefficient of friction. You should be at 1.8-1.9 with awd. That will knock .3 off the 1/4 mile
There's no way I can pull a 1.8 60' time with the RAV. Not enough torque or trans stall.

The best I could probably do is 2.0 sec. Still, that improvement would take off about 0.2 to 0.3 sec from the final time.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Smaller tires.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
What does the converter stall at? The torque is pretty good on the 6. You should be lower then 2.0. I used to get a 2.0 with a fwd turbo 5 speed car (Eagle Talon)with stock tires. Im sure you could launch it harder then a stock fwd car..

mhgsx said:
There's no way I can pull a 1.8 60' time with the RAV. Not enough torque or trans stall.

The best I could probably do is 2.0 sec. Still, that improvement would take off about 0.2 to 0.3 sec from the final time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I really don't know. But I assume it can't be too high since at 60 mph, 5th will hold at 1700 rpm. When you gas it a bit, the rpms rise in relation to mph with no discernable slippage from the torque converter.

I used to have a DSM, too. '95 GSX. Now my weekend toy is an '03 Evo. Turbo's have a way of calling you back. :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All Evos have A/C. The model you're referring to is called the RS. It doesn't have power windows or power locks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are some, myself included, that would claim an Evo isn't an Evo without the spoiler. That car has pretty much always had some type of outlandish spoiler.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
yea functional as for puttin my sandwich on when I am tying my shoes.. its worthless.. Please do not get sucked into the fast and furious hype.
How much downforce at what speed?
If it worked so good why would they delete it on the RS racing model? Don't you think it would be missin on the on NON RS's and added to their RS racing model?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The RS is meant to be a sleeper, that's why they took it off that model. I don't have the downforce #s and speeds, but several magazines have mentioned when comparing the RS vs. the regular EVO that the high speed stability in the RS wasn't as good. And I wouldn't consider Grassroots Motorsports a "fast and furious" magazine.

I'm not a member of the Fast and Furious club, but I'll take the wing on the EVO or STI. The RAV4, however, is a different story :lol:

DJ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts