Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone know if 15" rims from a Camry or Celica (same years, 96-2000) will fit on a 4.1 RAV? I think the first year they came out, RAVs were available with both 15" and 16" rims......and the Camry/Celica bolt pattern is the same, so has anyone tried this? It would open up a whole bunch of options for tire selection, that's for sure. Any known issues with calipers or suspension? I've seen a couple of RAVs with 15" rims but non-factory with a ridiculous offset; that's not the look I'm going for.

·
Registered
881 Posts
alegro said:
Hey all,

Does anyone know if 15" rims from a Camry or Celica (same years, 96-2000) will fit on a 4.1 RAV? I think the first year they came out, RAVs were available with both 15" and 16" rims......and the Camry/Celica bolt pattern is the same, so has anyone tried this? It would open up a whole bunch of options for tire selection, that's for sure. Any known issues with calipers or suspension? I've seen a couple of RAVs with 15" rims but non-factory with a ridiculous offset; that's not the look I'm going for.
Looks like 90-98 MR2 wheels will fit, but aftermarket wheels are easier to come buy, you'll need to find 60.1 centers and aftermarket wheels have adaptable centers. It won't really open up much in the way of tire choices, since you'll need 75 or 80% profile tires in order to keep the stock wheel circumference.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Tankd0g. 15" rims would enable me to fit a more agressive treaded tire on it. Some of you use yours for carving up the road; I'll use my Miata (sorry, traded the MR2 for it!) for that. I use my RAV for camping, and getting on and off the ice for fishing. (Winnipeg boy).

Mohit, I'm not looking for an opinion; I'm looking to see if this can be done. If I asked if you could fit a pushbar on a RAV, or air suspension, or stripes, and someone said "I wouldn't do that" they're missing the point.

·
Registered
881 Posts
alegro said:
Thanks, Tankd0g. 15" rims would enable me to fit a more agressive treaded tire on it. Some of you use yours for carving up the road; I'll use my Miata (sorry, traded the MR2 for it!) for that. I use my RAV for camping, and getting on and off the ice for fishing. (Winnipeg boy).

Mohit, I'm not looking for an opinion; I'm looking to see if this can be done. If I asked if you could fit a pushbar on a RAV, or air suspension, or stripes, and someone said "I wouldn't do that" they're missing the point.
There are plenty of offroad tires that come in 235/70R16, that's what I would go with if you want more rubber but there's nothing wrong with the stock 225/70R16, since the Honda Element also uses that size more tires are becoming available. Incidentally, I am trying to locate a Miata to buy myself because I can't afford an 1990's MR2 but I NEED a rwd 2 seater in my driveway :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
alegro said:
you might not have asked for an opinion but i have the right to state my opinion like everyone else does. i never said you have to agree with my opinion. remember, we're living in a free world. before you go for 15" rims make sure your insurance will allow the downgrade and also make sure that the smaller rims have the correct load rating.

·
Registered
542 Posts
15" wheels have a problem with hitting the brake caliper. i need a spare wheel & all the 15" rims i've tried rub on the caliper of just don't turn when bolted on!!

try them, you might be lucky..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
peterpogi2005,

Thanks. Are you using or trying on Camry/Celica rims, and are they steel or alloy? I just wanted to know if 15" steel rims would work. I'll give up on that idea, then. I figured 15" steel Toyota rims would work for sure, as I thought the brakes on Camrys/Celicas/RAV4's had the same circumference.

·
Registered
881 Posts
alegro said:
peterpogi2005,

Thanks. Are you using or trying on Camry/Celica rims, and are they steel or alloy? I just wanted to know if 15" steel rims would work. I'll give up on that idea, then. I figured 15" steel Toyota rims would work for sure, as I thought the brakes on Camrys/Celicas/RAV4's had the same circumference.
There is less than an inch between the caliper and the rim with 16" steel rims so it will be pretty close with 15".

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are some 15" that wil fit the rav. A German copany named Delta 4x4 customized som 95/96 Rav4 int o what they called "Wide Body". They used 15"x10" rims from Mickey Thompson. The tires was Dunlop Radial in 255/60/15. Look at gallery member #181. A year ago we fitted a 96 Rav4 with 245/75/15. We had to lift the car about 3" and trim the fender and the body to stop it rubbing. But it got a killer look.

·
Registered
542 Posts
all the alloy rims i've tried are from 2nd hand/surplus shops so not sure what they originally came from! if you find some that fit when the brakes are cold, pls look at the clearance, should be a few mm's coz i tried one that fit but it was rubbing on the caliper when the brakes were hot!!

i don't really want to put a steel rim but i was offered a 16" one once.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, for your input. I'm paying a visit to a tire/wheel shop this week and trying on a set of 15" Camry rims; I'll let you know what I find out.

Mohit! No worries, buddy! Again, thanks all!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But.....................

If anyone wants to beat me to this, or prove me wrong/right feel free!!!!

/I'm sure the first European/Japanese RAVs had 15" rims....................

ALso, if someone came out with an early Landcruiser style front clip for these, I'd be the first in line. You'd make a mint. Even something like the RAV FOUR concept............that's just me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i just checked the clearance between the caliper & inside of the stock 16 x 6.5" alloy rim & it's only 6mm!!

good luck in finding 15" rims which will not rub on the caliper.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, peterpogi2005! I'll give up on that.

I wonder if 225/75 16's will fit..................I have a lead on cheap Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's in this size. It sure would look neat.......

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was curious about the 75's too, but went with the 225/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's and love them! Looks a little tight on the well when cranking the wheel though...

Im not in Winterpeg ;-) but do a lot of backroading and snow travel. Great tires.
Good luck with your hunt.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So there's a 2.7% difference in spedometer reading between the two factory RAV sizes? Interesting.......and there's a 5.2% difference between a 215/70 16 and a 225/75 16..........I think they just might fit. (Wrangler MT/R's)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts