Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says my '15 XLE that I got earlier this month will start without pressing the brakes, this doesn't seem right and the owners manual seems to confirm that you're supposed to to press the brakes when starting. Is there maybe a customization option that changes this behavior or is this something I should have checked out?

I probably wouldn't have noticed this but one of my first cars didn't require pressing the brakes and I've mostly had manual transmissions since then so I haven't completely broken the habit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm supposed to take it in and have a couple minor scratches fixed so I'll get it checked out then(they were supposed to call me but it was the salesman that said that and I've completed the purchase so I'll probably have to call them).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That is normal for the keyed ignition on your xle. If you had a limited with a push button start then you would need the brake on before you press the button to start.
You may be reading the description for the limited in the manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is normal for the keyed ignition on your xle. If you had a limited with a push button start then you would need the brake on before you press the button to start.
You may be reading the description for the limited in the manual.
It's in the section for keyed version, it might just be a suggestion to protect them from lawsuits instead of a requirement though. It sounds like it's probably normal but I'll double check when I get it in.

Thanks all for the input, I could have just asked at the dealership but I didn't want to discuss it with them from a position of ignorance.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Found that section. I think it is just describing "safe" procedure, rather than being an actual requirement to start.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
The only RAV I've driven with PB start was a Limited so maybe that explains it. No foot on brake? No start, period.

For some reason :shrug: I thought all the 2013 & forward RAVs had PB start. Wrong bird brain!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The limited IS the only rav with push button start. But the OP has an XLE and doesn't "require" a foot on the brake. But it's just a suggestion for safety. Kinda like a yellow light. You probably should try to stop for a yellow light, but most of us floor it instead.

But I guess it's also used as a means to get into accessory mode with push start cars since that's what you get without a foot on the brake.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You probably should try to stop for a yellow light, but most of us floor it instead.
My father ran a few yellow/red lights while I was growing up. One time a cop got him. My father said that he didn't want the guy behind him to rear end him if he stopped. The cop said "sir, there was no car behind you" so my dad took the ticket and we never spoke of that again.

:)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I also have a '15 XLE and I don't ever remember having to depress the brake pedal to start the vehicle.

However, when I shift from PARK into REVERSE I must depress the brake pedal or it's a no go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts