Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 with 150,000 miles on it (RAV4 4WD 4DR 4-CYL). Three previous owners with nothing flagging and no history at all in regards to what repairs / maintenance have been done. I would say the condition is good. I have two questions: First, I paid 6,000 for the car. I think that was pretty good (it was from a dealer). Did i get a fair/good price? Second, should I spend any money with inspection or preventative replacements at this point or just regular oil changes and wait for issues. Thank you for your time. Stephen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you buy any used car you should take it to your mechanic or a mechanic you trust and have an inspection done. Kind of too late to ask if you spent too much now and hard to tell if you paid too much on a forum. I would always be weary of 4wd drive vehicles with that high of mileage. You never know what they have been through.

With that said if you think the everything is good and everything looks clean it probably isn't a bad price.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Be warned: the 2006 - 2008 RAV4s with 4 cylinder engines commonly burned LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of oil.

Not all burned oil, and some that burned lots of oil may have had an engine rebuild covered by Toyota so they no longer burn oil.

So check your oil levels OFTEN. At least once a week for a while until you can gauge how much, if any, it burns.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 with 150,000 miles on it (RAV4 4WD 4DR 4-CYL). Three previous owners with nothing flagging and no history at all in regards to what repairs / maintenance have been done. I would say the condition is good. I have two questions: First, I paid 6,000 for the car. I think that was pretty good (it was from a dealer). Did i get a fair/good price? Second, should I spend any money with inspection or preventative replacements at this point or just regular oil changes and wait for issues. Thank you for your time. Stephen.
When you say no history at all re: maint/repairs, did you register the VIN on Toyota dot com/owners to determine that? It would seem a little bit odd that a 10 yo car has never been to a dealer for something.
As mentioned on here, pay good attention to the oil burning issue. You'll find lots of info on here about it.
Good luck and many happy miles!:)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... Three previous owners with nothing flagging and no history at all in regards to what repairs / maintenance have been done....
Go to Toyota.com/owners and register with your VIN. In the Service History you should find everything Toyota dealers have done. (Tip:click on date of each service for more details.)

And yes, what DVS said. The 2006-2008 4-cylinders had oil burning issues. Toyota had an enhanced warranty to fix those with problems, but it is now too late if you are over 150,000 miles. Keep a close eye on the consumption--like check the dipstick at EVERY fuel fill-up. You will soon know. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Also, consider changing all the fluids and the spark plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that website - Very helpful. Here is a list of things are were done that weren't obvious to me: Otherwise nothing listed. Thanks again.

FILL SWITCH WITH GREASE
-----------------------------------------
CHK RR LWR SUSPENSION
ARM #1 FOR LOOSENESS
&INSTALL CLIPS

CHK FOR
RUST/LOOSENESS, RPLC 2
SD ARMS, APPLY
EPOXY,ALIGN

UPDATE ECM SOFTWARE