Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Ive reached my destination in Canada from Boston. It took to me almost four days to get to my new home. I took I-93 and I 91 (which was a mistake) to pass thru the border and then followed to I-10 West, so I was driving thru Ontario with lots of mountains, deep up and downhiils. My trailer I rented from Uhaul (5x8) I filled out from the top to the bottom, there was no place to put even an apple. Honestly I was really affraid if I could tow it, but with the speed around 50mph and 10-20mph thru mountains I was doing fine. Sometimes it looked like I was not able to get uphill, but with a several stops I made it.Therefore I wanna say that you dont need to worry about towing a heavy trailer like I did.

FYI: 5x8 Uhail trailer weight is 900Lb.
Tow hitch made by Brinks (UK) and I have no idea about its towing capacity.

J

·
0 Posts
Wow, did you go all the way to winnipeg? Would have been worht it to take the US interstate system around south rather than the trans canada.

Anyway, my question is...you went how fast? Never over 55? On the straight flat sections, could you run, say 65? (I am looking at Los Angeles to Toronto. Mostly flat, level, high speed highways like in South dakota. ) Finally, 5 speed or auto and did you leave OD off?

JON

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a chance to get different roads, but decided to use the Trans Canada. Usually I was keeping 50 mph and didnt go over it.On flat surfaces I was feeling that I can get even much more, but I didnt do it, becaise I affraid it.... :D In the mountains I was able to have only 20 or 10, sometimes even I made few stops to get uphill otherwise I felt that I wont make it.
I dont know whats happened, but as I posted on Rav4oz Ive got a problem after I arrived to Winnipeg and changed a trans.oil, my AT got broken.
My point is that our Rav can handle heavy trailers, but I have installed trans.cooler and nitrocharger lifted up suspension that helps me all the time. If you have standard suspension do NOT tow 3000Lb or over trailers, it would be too heavy for Rav.You can get aprox 2500 lb, but no more.
Keep OFF your OD all the time you tow a trailer!

R

·
0 Posts
Why did you have to stop? Engine heating up?
I wonder if it would be easier to tow with a manual transmission or more difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts