Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to get my 2005 RAV4 15000 mile sevice at my original dealer. (I had been getting my oil change and tire rotation at a different dealer nearby.)

The total charge ---- $315. 28!!!!!

I realized they had changed my air filters (which I assume you don't need them changed unless you drive on dessert or something until 30,000 miles!!), wiper inserts (which I would never do at a dealer for @7.67 each), and some other parts I can't tell what it is ('valve sub-assy, vent'($15.95), 'element sub-assy, ai'($31.95), 'm.o.a.'($9.95)). And on top of everything, their labor charge was $169.10.
Alright, I know that getting service at the dealer is expensive, but I chose to get my service done there because I can't find a honest and good mechanic. So...did I just get ripped off from the dealer? I even feel like they did this to me because I am a female and don't know much about cars. Do you think there is anything I can do, maybe complain to the Toyota Customer Service? (I even realized the filer oil and engine oil is more expensive than the other dealer)

I kinda feel like there is nothing I can do at this point which just makes me really frustrated. :x I need help and advice!!!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Good lord.

There's really nothing you need done at 15,000 other than an oil change/tire rotation. The rest is just visually inspect this or that. So I'd pay $30 tops for a 15,000 service.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In Canada, main service (around $150.00) is at 30000km, otherwise any oil change incl. wash and inspection is around $35.00. Dealer should ask you in advance if you want to change items he wants to change since you can say no. Example is that I have SRI and I change my filter so they don't bother with it.

E

·
0 Posts
cherub said:

I realized they had changed my air filters (which I assume you don't need them changed unless you drive on dessert or something until 30,000 miles!!), wiper inserts (which I would never do at a dealer for @7.67 each), and some other parts I can't tell what it is ('valve sub-assy, vent'($15.95), 'element sub-assy, ai'($31.95), 'm.o.a.'($9.95)). And on top of everything, their labor charge was $169.10.
HOLY!!! :shock: Did they ask you to consent to all of that work?

I recall paying about $250-ish CAD for maintenance work on my RAV4 at a dealer, but that was a major maintenance job at 32000 km.

I remember paying $25.69 USD TOTAL, taxes etc. included, for an oil change at a dealership in Washington state while I was on vacation last year.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Here is what they should have done

- Replace engine oil & filter (If necessary)
- Re-torque drive shaft bolt (4WD)
- Rotate Tires
- General inspection
- Air filter Blown out (5 min job)

I think all of this would cost around $90. With Mobil 1 oil around $120

If your wiper blades are damaged they should be replaced. Ask to see them first or better yet inspect them yourself first.

Wiper inserts OEM alone cost me $30 (Big rip off). They probably would charge me another $30 labor.

I think next time ask in advance what they plan on doing and cost. And like Zorin said make them ask you advance for anything extra.
Also post an article here and ask what to look for. Hopefully we will have a MODS & MAINTENANCE section soon where there will be posted information on how to maintain your RAV so you can ask your mechanic specifically what to do or do-it yourself (if capable)
A fellow RAV’r advised me to download the Repair Manual and Technical info from the Toyota TIS site. There is a very comprehensive Maintenance schedule with more detail than the Owners manual. Hopefully submitted, re-interpreted copy will be in the M&M section. :wink:

Walt

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do not go back to that dealer, ever.

If anyone suggests you need more service than the manual recommends(which is very little), make sure they can justify it.

Better yet, do it yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know..it all comes down to...'I should have asked first'
I just assumed (big mistake!!!) they would be doing oil change/tire rotation and eye inspection. And I did even say, 'do not do anything else without calling me first.'
I even noticed that my AC light went off when I was bringing my car back. I hope it's not anything they did.
So now I know, never trust anybody at the dealer!!

Thanks guys.

M

·
0 Posts
So why did you pay them if you didn't authorize the extra repairs? What if someone comes and mows your lawn without you asking to do so. Will you pay them too? :shock:

This whole story is fishy. All repair places when you drop a vehicle off will give you a hard number for the service. If the actual costs exceed the number they gave you previously then they call and ask for authorization.

You don't even have to say 'do not do anything else without calling me first'. That's kinda, uhhh, implied by common logic and how the world works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think it sounds fishy at all, I think Cherub hit it right on the head. I remember ,years back, when my mother was sold the "extra large" battery so the car would start better( I almost spent the night in jail over that one). These leaches will do anything they think they can get away with to make a buck.
Cherub this is what I would do. put all those parts from your receipt into google and see if you can get an idea of what they are.Write all that down and then either go to that dealer or call if it is far away and ask them to explain the charges. don't mention that you have done your research, just give them the " i am concerned about the high price I paid". If the explanation sounds like what your research suggests than maybe it is legit, but they should have asked you because from the maintenance book included with the car the only thing besides oil change tire rotation,air filter and maybe cabin air filter, is the differential oil if you have been towing alot. Anything other parts they changed should have been under warranty.If you don't like the answer you get from the service manager, talk to the person that sold you the car, they have some weight. If that doesn't work go up the line to who runs/ owns the dealership( no need to talk to the sales manager) then I would call or email toyota, and mention that your next step is to talk to the states attorney and the better business bureau. If you don't get satisfaction, call the states attorney, they have to be re-elected every few years and while car dealerships/ mechanics my not take women seriously politicians do, because they talk to their friends and vote. Good luck. let us know how it turns out.

P

·
0 Posts
If the work was done at Toyota dealship - bring it to the attention of Toyota HQ / of US office. I will imagine theywould be interested in knowing. Express your concern in a honest and concise fashion.

Keep us posted. Im due soon for another service.

p.

M

·
0 Posts
stainless said:
I remember ,years back, when my mother was sold the "extra large" battery so the car would start better( I almost spent the night in jail over that one). These leaches will do anything they think they can get away with to make a buck.
There is a BIG difference between talking someone into buying something, and just handing it to them and saying they just bought it and must pay for it. And that exactly what has happened.

I don't believe any repair shop can even be persuaded to work on a vehicle without having the customer agree to the charges. That "do the work, and whatever it costs, tell me later and I'll pay" is tricky business, as with any unauthorized charges the customer can ask to put the vehicle back the way it was before the service and walk away without paying a cent. That's how it always was and will be.

But assuming the bill was paid already, it would be kind of insane at that point to argue that the charges were not unauthorized, as I don't know anyone sane who would pay for something they didn't buy. :shock:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Without passing judgement......although I'd like to......I for one, would like to know the name and location of that dealership in case I'm ever in NY state and need work done on my RAV...... :roll:

Keep in mind that almost all mechanics work on commission... :(

I can assure you that there are good, honest dealers out there.....the one in my town for example, with excellent service reps and mechanics. The service manager, himself, went the extra mile when I had pad squeal after a front brake job.......changed pads twice, till they found a brand that didn't squeal.....no extra charge!!!

If you're looking for a dealer, talk to other Toyota owners to find out about their experiences..........don't be shy.... :wink:

E

·
0 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be FRANK about what kind of work your vehicle needs when you phone to make your appointment AND when you drop off your vehicle. Sometimes, I would ask for the guy behind the counter to give me an item-by-item analysis of what needs to be done before I hand over the keys. Often, the guy behind the counter would take the initiative to tell me what needs to be done, even before I ask.

I've had my RAV4 serviced by three different Canadian Toyota dealers (all in BC) and one US Toyota dealer (central Washington state), and none of them have tried to play any dirty tricks with me. I'd be more than happy to take my business elsewhere (to another dealer or non-dealer) for work on my RAV4, especially once my warranty expires next year.

·
Registered
79 Posts
cherub said:
Yesterday, I went to get my 2005 RAV4 15000 mile sevice at my original dealer. (I had been getting my oil change and tire rotation at a different dealer nearby.)

Alright, I know that getting service at the dealer is expensive, but I chose to get my service done there because I can't find a honest and good mechanic. So...did I just get ripped off from the dealer? I even feel like they did this to me because I am a female and don't know much about cars. Do you think there is anything I can do, maybe complain to the Toyota Customer Service? (I even realized the filer oil and engine oil is more expensive than the other dealer)

I kinda feel like there is nothing I can do at this point which just makes me really frustrated. :x I need help and advice!!!!
What did you tell the dealer needed to be done when you made the appointment and dropped off the Rav?

If you told them to do the 15,000 mile service, then that's what they did. Your maintenance schedule book that you should have recieved when you bought the vehicle (if you bought it new), would tell you everything that gets done during the 15,000 mile service. As someone else posted above, most of the items on the scheduled maintenance list are "checks" and don't actually involve any labor except maybe turning on a flashlight. All manufacturers' maintenance schedules are this way. The dealership usually has a flat rate for the "interval services" (15,000 miles; 30,000 miles etc.) Concievably, they could just put "15,000 mile service" on the invoice and be done with it, but they itemize it out to keep their inventories straight and to track actual work done by the service techs. The "labor charge" charge on your invoice would vary based on what model vehicle you drive as the parts used would have had difference prices. Such as, if you owned a Tundra and the windshield wipers were different sizes than on the Rav, you would see a different price for wiper replacement and the labor charge would vary by the difference in the wiper cost.

Based on the total you gave above, I would say that your dealership charges $299 for the 15,000 mile service plus taxes to get to the total above.

So, did you tell them to do the 15,000 mile service? Or did you give them a list of things to do? The answer to this will tell you whether or not you were ripped off.

If you told them to do the 15,000 mile service, the price you paid seems below what I have seen locally but probably still wasn't worth it because the 15,000 mile service involves minimal labor and parts, just a lot of "checks." And you got what you asked for.

If, however, you gave them a specific list of things to do and they did more than that without your approval then they ripped you off and you need to complain (firmly, but nicely) to everyone at the dealer and to Toyota Corporate.

Good luck!

James

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
616269799 said:
If you told them to do the 15,000 mile service, then that's what they did. Your maintenance schedule book that you should have recieved when you bought the vehicle (if you bought it new), would tell you everything that gets done during the 15,000 mile service.
Problem is no dealer I know of follows the manufacturer's service schedule. They all invent their own to load up the price.

You shouldn't have to say, "I want the 15,000 mile official Toyota service as detailed in the manual." But in most cases you do. If you just ask for a 15k service expect to part with $300+ for some made up service schedule.

E

·
0 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Problem is no dealer I know of follows the manufacturer's service schedule. They all invent their own to load up the price.

You shouldn't have to say, "I want the 15,000 mile official Toyota service as detailed in the manual." But in most cases you do. If you just ask for a 15k service expect to part with $300+ for some made up service schedule.
EXACTLY. As I mentioned above, I always, always, always make sure that the guy behind the counter itemizes exactly what will be done, and cross-reference it with the maintenance manual.

Dealers, as with all other businesses (including fast food outlets asking if you want to "supersize" your meal), like to upsell. We just have to be vigilant about what we NEED and WANT done to our vehicles according to our own research and judgment. However, if the dealer has "imposed" extra work, without your consent, then that's fraud, in my opinion.

(Just an aside, many fellow Vancouverites might remember our local cable company getting in deep trouble last decade for negative option billing, by making us for Pay TV channels unless we called to cancel. Same idea: if we don't ask for it, WE DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR IT.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I deeply appreciate all of your responses.
On an update of my status, after a lengthy conversation with the service manager, there were only up to offering my next service free of charge. I could go on to details but that was the result with the dealer.

The thing that really bothers me about this topic/concept is that I feel like you should be able to trust a mechanic, that they will sincerely advice you on what to do to on your car. I mean they are suppose to be the experts, right? I feel like there is so much I can do on my part.

Oh well, it was a very pricey lesson.

E

·
0 Posts
cherub said:
I deeply appreciate all of your responses.
On an update of my status, after a lengthy conversation with the service manager, there were only up to offering my next service free of charge. I could go on to details but that was the result with the dealer.

The thing that really bothers me about this topic/concept is that I feel like you should be able to trust a mechanic, that they will sincerely advice you on what to do to on your car. I mean they are suppose to be the experts, right? I feel like there is so much I can do on my part.

Oh well, it was a very pricey lesson.
I'm happy to hear that you've reached an agreement with the dealer. I can tell you that I'd be equally - if not more - PO'ed, if the same thing had happened to me. A free maintenance service for your next visit is not the perfect solution, but still, it seems like the service manager got the idea that you had been wronged.

Yes, we vest a lot of trust with the service department because they're the ones who are trained to fix our cars, but again, dealers are businesses. As with all other businesses, car dealers have their fair share of sleazeballs who like to rip us off or take advantage of our lack of knowledge.

Well, consider it as a lesson learned, but please don't think that you're at fault. The dealer was still at fault for performing work that you NEVER expected or authorized. Yes, we all need to be more clear as to what work needs to be done, but lack of clarity is not a license for mechanics to do whatever they want and charge us for it.

Thanks for the update. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
cherub said:
offering my next service free of charge.
Did they put that down in writing?(free parts? & labours?)

I bought a new motorcycle in 02, it was on sale so they wouldn't
go down on the price anymore. But they(boss) offered me the first service No Charge. Went to pick up my bike after the 1st service with my sales contract in writing "First service no charge"
the service dept guy told me that his boss ONLY give free labours but not free parts. MAN was I pissed, which part of NO CHARGE don't you understand? He wouldn't call his boss because he's out of town.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts