Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was examining the Scheduled Maintenance Log and noticed for 4wd a task every 15000 miles which is:

"Tighten drive shaft bolt(4wd only)"

Is this readily seen from underneath, accessible and I wonder if there are any torque requirements?? Something I would like to learn to do myself if it is straightforward. My Subaru AWD had no such task.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 15000 mile Task-4WD

bikejack said:
I was examining the Scheduled Maintenance Log and noticed for 4wd a task every 15000 miles which is:

Is this readily seen from underneath, accessible and I wonder if there are any torque requirements?? Something I would like to learn to do myself if it is straightforward. My Subaru AWD had no such task.
I wonder about this too. It's the only thing I don't know how to do up to >100,000 miles!

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
It sounds like no one knows that here. Toyota had that thing in older 4WD cars, too. I noticed that in 2002 when I bought my first Toyota and perused the maintenance guide.

·
Registered
237 Posts

bikejack said:

Does anyone have the Service Manual that would give us the location and torque spec for this mystery bolt?

DJ

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

dj06482 said:
[
Does anyone have the Service Manual that would give us the location and torque spec for this mystery bolt?

DJ
Most just use the online source. $10 for the day and all the pdf files you can download. As I have a highspeed broadband connection the downloads are fast. Don't know what the performance is with a dialup connection.

Toyota Tech info

PS: I don't have this info downloaded from the Tech Site

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks Tim...

So is this the words in your attachment we are looking for??

Am assuming the 15K procedure is item D in your second attachment regarding the center support bracket. Never seen a requirement for tightening the transfer case to prop shaft and the prop shaft to differential bolts on any other 4WD vehicles I have owned (Jeep's, Subaru's, Honda CRV)

Also noticed that in the Maintance schedule this item is every 5K miles if you "drive in the desert or on dirt roads"

TIGHTEN PROPELLER SHAFT WITH CENTER BEARING SHAFT ASSEMBLY

(a) Tighten the 4 nuts of the propeller shaft and transfer to the torque specification.
Torque: 35 N*m (357 kgf*cm, 26 ft.*lbf)

(b) Tighten the 4 nuts of the propeller shaft and differential carrier to the torque specification.
Torque: 35 N*m (357 kgf*cm, 26 ft.*lbf)

(c) Check that the center line of the center support bearing housing is perpendicular to the axis of the propeller shaft.

(d) Tighten the 2 bolts of the center support bearing to the torque specification.
Torque: 36.8 N*m (375 kgf*cm, 27 ft.*lbf)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
summerwind said:
(d) Tighten the 2 bolts of the center support bearing to the torque specification.
Torque: 36.8 N*m (375 kgf*cm, 27 ft.*lbf)
I wonder if this is really it? Can't see where this is subject to loosening. It's not a moving part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts