Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2016 XLE Hybrid and I'm loving it. Put 16,000 kms on it since mid April, just had the first oil change yesterday.

Anyway, when I was at the dealer I asked for a price on 16 inch steel wheels and winter tires. They told me that they don't have 16 inch wheels on the 2016s so he could get me a price on the 17s.

I'm fairly certain that the 2013-15 Rav4s had 16 inch wheels as the base size so since the 2016 is a mid cycle refresh shouldn't the 16s be fine for it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if you've got access to TireRack in Canada, but they do list 16" wheels as a "minus" option for our '16 XLE Hybrids, with 215-70-16 as the recommended tire size. I've used them several times with complete satisfaction. They have packages that include wheels, dedicated snow tires, TPMS sensors, mounted and balanced, shipped to a preferred installer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have some 16" snows on steel rims that I used on my 11 Rav4 Sport, which had 18" wheels and they worked fine. No TPMS sensors, just ran w/o them all winter. I plan on using them on my 16 Rav4 XLE if they fit, I have not checked that out yet

·
Registered
846 Posts
We bought 215/70R16 BLIZZAK DM-V2 (bought from Costco) for our winter tires on steel rims. Realize it was over estimating our speed by about 4% so if the speedometer says 110 km/h, we are driving at around 105 km/h.

Not a big deal as there are more potholes in the winter timer and the 16's will be more forgiving and damage-proof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I too have a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited that comes with 18" tires. I am shopping around for winter tires here in Ottawa, ON, Canada. At first I was only looking at 17" tires and rims, but now I'm hearing I could go down to 16" tires and rims. Does anyone know if my car can safely accommodate 16" tires and rims?

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 2013+ rav4 didn't come with 16" wheels/tires. technically a 16" will fit on the rav4h, but I wouldn't suggest anyone run a 16" setup on the heavier rav4h.

I don't think a 215-70-16 tire exists with the proper speed and load rating for a rav4h. The car requires a load rating of 102, whereas most 215-70-16 tires have a load rating of 100, and lower speed ratings (most are rated T instead of H).

Now you might think its not a big deal since you don't drive fast and don't load up your rav4 with much weight. But the combination of a higher sidewall, with a lower speed and weight rating (softer sidewall and tire), will have a negative effect on comfort, stability and handling. You can probably get away with running 16's, but it doesn't mean you should. Do yourself a favor and run a at least 225-65-17 with a 102H weight and speed rating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Dubweiser.

What do you think of 225-70-16, 103T? Would this work well?
Youre still adding almost half an inch of sidewall, to an already big sidewall on the 17's?

Why 16's?

You won't even really save any money. 16" steel wheels are roughly the same price as 17".

Also, 225-70-16 tires are only slightly cheaper (10-15$ per tire) and choices are more limited than 225-65-17. In fact, they don't even make the ws80 in 225-70-16, and the best bang for the buck in Canada right now is the ws80 at Costco in 225-65-17. Comes out to 127.49$ per tire with the instant mail in rebate. Hard to beat that price even in a 225-70-16 size...

Unless you have a set of 16" wheel and tire lying around from your previous vehicle, why even bother?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Winter Tech Information - Size Selection of Winter / Snow Tires
Let's talk winter tires [Archive] - GTAMC - Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club - (Since 2000)

I've had 16" wheels/tires ( 215/70R16 BLIZZAK DM-V2) from January to April of this year and haven't had any issues with the load rating (it is after all the load rating of each tire x 4 which is more than ample to carry the weight of the vehicle/passengers/extra load) or speed (usually maxes out at 70 mph on the highway). The OEM was 18" for our Limited but I recall that thinner and higher profile tires are better especially when there are potholes and snow/ice on the road.

Time will tell. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought Michelins Latitude X-Ice XI2 in 17" mounted on rims with covers. Price is the biggest factor.

According to Tirerack.com, for those in the US:

Set of 18" XI2's = $605.80 - Set of 17" XI2's = $445.80

So why not buy the 18"? I guess if you are going to unmount and mount your tires twice a year, then you would buy 18" ones. I decided I'd rather have the snows on separate rims - keep the good rims out of the baddest weather. And less wear & tear on the factory rims having the tires swapped twice a year. Less cost too for installation - no mounting & balancing costs each time. And since we don't have TPMS in Canada, there's no reason not to have separate rims.

What is wrong with 18 inch snow tires???????????????

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is wrong with 18 inch snow tires???????????????
The world (at least in Winterpeg) becomes a lot bumpier in winter.
Potholes, hidden curbs, other various sneaky things will show up under your tires and having a bit more sidewall is a good thing.
Also, I'd rather have cheaper rims getting all messed up instead of my pretty OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The world (at least in Winterpeg) becomes a lot bumpier in winter.
Potholes, hidden curbs, other various sneaky things will show up under your tires and having a bit more sidewall is a good thing.
Also, I'd rather have cheaper rims getting all messed up instead of my pretty OEM wheels.
No one cares about a Winnipegers opinion. I agree with you though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts