Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a consistent 3-5 second transmission lag/delay from reverse to first gear after I back out of my driveway. Never had this on any recently owned Toyotas ('13 and '14 Avalon), certainly don't have it on my 2003 Rav (believe it or not)

Is this a common 4th gen tranny characteristic? If not, it's on my 5,000 mile dealer check up list.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My 14 awd xle was like that too. Never caused a problem or had any issues with the car. I believe it has been brought up her before as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a while so I thought I'd give an update.

At 5,000 miles Toyota changed the tranny fluid and checked for issues, found none. The transmission lag issue never went away.

At 15,000 miles I asked Toyota again to check it out, it's still there, causes no other issues but it's annoying that I can't just shift into drive and go. This is the only automatic transmission I have ever had act like this. Toyota told me (as expected from feedback here) that's it's normal. I say it's annoying. I don't think a transmission should have to 'think' and 'delay' about what to do once you give it a command.

Why would they design a transmission like this? :mad:

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's been a while so I thought I'd give an update.

At 5,000 miles Toyota changed the tranny fluid and checked for issues, found none. The transmission lag issue never went away.

At 15,000 miles I asked Toyota again to check it out, it's still there, causes no other issues but it's annoying that I can't just shift into drive and go. This is the only automatic transmission I have ever had act like this. Toyota told me (as expected from feedback here) that's it's normal. I say it's annoying. I don't think a transmission should have to 'think' and 'delay' about what to do once you give it a command.

Why would they design a transmission like this? :mad:
The fact is they didn't design it like that. Mine does not do that at 2,000 miles on my '16 SE. Normal to them mean it happens to 1 out of every 1000 I'll bet.
That said, does it tend to mostly do it cold, or are you seeing this warm also?
Another thing to try. Shift into drive then immediatly to sports shift mode. Also try hitting sports mode button, and turning ECO off and see if any of these changes this issue.
If they do, it's something more to take back to the dealer and disprove the "normal BS" line you are getting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I experience this too, but I think it does this only when the engine is cold to reduce excessive wear on the clutch packs or it's a comfort thing. The engine runs at higher RPMs until the catalytic converter is warmed up, so traditionally if you shift from P to a drive speed, the car would lurch forward/backward. With the 2016+ RAV4s, I think the transmission waits for the engine speed to drop slightly before engaging a speed, making a smoother transition.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...I experience this too, but I think it does this only when the engine is cold to reduce excessive wear on the clutch packs or it's a comfort thing...
Well, that could be it. For comparison, many in the Gen 4.3 RAVs report a quick and sometimes abrupt shift with engine cold and at high idle, and backing out, then shifting forward. You have to really come to a full stop with a fraction of a second pause as shift is instantaneous to smooth it out. No lag at all, just the opposite.

So Toyota may have designed the lag to eliminate this for smoothness. But the OP reports 3-5 seconds lag. If it was a true 5 second delay, that would border on dangerous. He should get a stopwatch and confirm--is it 3 seconds or is it 5 seconds? Collect some real data, not estimate. Does it only do it when cold, as in first shift of the day? Is there ANY delay when fully warmed?

Then, as others say, ask to drive another 'cold' 2016 on the dealer lot to compare. With a stopwatch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts