Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a set of steel wheels from Costco for my snow tires.

However, they told me that steel wheels need different lug nuts. I can't use same nuts.

Any suggestion which type of lug nuts could be fit to my steel wheels?

Below attachment jpg is the steel wheels I purchased

Thanks guys :frown

Attachments

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi

However, they told me that steel wheels need different lug nuts. I can't use same nuts.

I've heard that, but my 2010 Rav Base came from the factory with 4 alloys and a full size spare on a steel rim. So, I'm curious too.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I've heard that, but my 2010 Rav Base came from the factory with 4 alloys and a full size spare on a steel rim. So, I'm curious too.
Yes, my 2008 is the same. If you look at the lug nuts, they have a tapered acorn for the steel wheels, and also a washer for the alloy rims. I heard a rumor once that the washers tend to jingle when used on a steel rim. I don't know if that's true.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Yes, my 2008 is the same. If you look at the lug nuts, they have a tapered acorn for the steel wheels, and also a washer for the alloy rims.

For use with alloy rims the lug nuts don't need the tapered end since the washer shoulder holds the wheel on. The taper is there for use with the spare which is intended for short term usage. The reason to buy new tapered-only lug nuts when running steel rims is for appearance only since the stock ones look "wrong." All AP stores carry taper-only lug nut sets.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Many years ago Costco said the same thing when I purchased snow tires from them that the alloy lug nuts are not suitable for my winter steel rims on my old Camry. I replaced them with acorn lug nuts. You should buy acorn lug nuts size 12mm x 1.5

You can buy these ones.

Even though the factory ones shown by Junebug are tapered on the bottom and will work they don't look good in appearance. The lug nuts looks like they are loose with the gap between the washer. One last point is the tapered end on the alloy lug nut may have a smaller diameter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lug nuts

Hi

I picked up a set of McGard 84657 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - For 6 Lug Wheels from Amazon.ca. I got the 6 because I had bought exactly the same for my Tacoma. I am pretty sure its the same vendor which supplies the lug nuts on the Rav4s in Canada.

In any event I was very satifisfied with the lug nuts - much better than the ones I got from Canadian Tire I had to replace on the Taco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts