Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 RAV4 - well-maintained as I am a frequent visitor. Now dealing with a bit of sub-frame rust and I've "been warned" about the rear driveshaft going at around 175K. Interested in warning signs, sounds, cost of repair, etc. Been a member of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" club for some time but with winter on the way, I just might need 4WD! Thanks....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi bnooney,

I have about 173K on my 99 2.3 Rav. I have noticed an occasional clunk in the rear almost like the sound when something falls over behind the back seat. However, there is nothing back there to fall over so it has to be a mechanical issue. I read about the drive shaft bearing going out so I will be checking that first. I was also looking at the three diff mounts but can't really tell from their condition if one is failing. Hope to find the issue soon. I believe the carrier bearing is the most logical first fix.

Thanks for starting this thread.

WEK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear driveshaft

I have great mechanics (small town in NH) who do all my work (I used to but, alas, I am now disabled). I asked them how expensive a repair will be needed and they said probably in excess of $1,000. Now if you're not in the snow belt, you could just disconnect the rear drive and go FWD, which might be OK for me also BUT since I am disabled, if and when it goes I will just pony up the money and fix it. The alternative to that is a new ride but I love the size and maneuverability of the Gen 2. My wife has a 2010 and it feels like a barge!!! Mine has no symptoms of any kind at present so I am hoping for additional responses!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts