Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ottawa as had a really weird winter, a green Xmas, (I winterized the cottage the last week of december when I usually have to do this in october!) then record breaking cold last week, and now a record snowfall of 45cm up to now (about 18 inches)

I can say that with -32F the rav4 had no problems, (wifes venza was the same) and a lot of my neighbors had problem with their domestic cars ;-)

And today the AWD worked perfectly, very predictable, pulled out 2 guys in a Honda, and had a blast. Gotta love awd when it snows! now if the plow could just clear up the street...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Aren't these technically 4WD not AWD?
I don't think there's a "legal/official" definition of those terms. The badge on the 4.3's says "4WD" but as part of the mommification of the RAV4, the badge on the 4.4's says "AWD," even though the systems are effectively identical.

Many people have different interpretations of those terms.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't think there's a "legal/official" definition of those terms. The badge on the 4.3's says "4WD" but as part of the mommification of the RAV4, the badge on the 4.4's says "AWD," even though the systems are effectively identical.

Many people have different interpretations of those terms.

Yeah it's a bit foggy!
My 2c: I've always considered 4WD as a system that has to be manually placed in that mode by the driver and AWD is automatically placed in that mode, usually when the vehicle detects some type of wheel slip.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying you drove in 18" of snow? I've tried it and the car high-centers on compacted snow and you're screwed.
we got 18inches on the ground total that day, with the cars driving in it it got compacted, but you could still hear the chunks rubbing under the car. might of been 7-8 inches of snowy mush...

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I understand right, you're talking about driving on 18" of snow after it's been packed down by the traffic into mush. My case was 12-18" of untracked new snow. Word to the wise - don't do it. Got stuck, post-holed 2.5 miles back to the house to get the truck. It's got a snowplow on it. Cleared the road, pulled the car clear, drove the rest of the way home.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not living in Big Snow Country anymore! Got stuck with cars lots of times, then got fed up with that and bought a pickup truck - no more getting stuck after that!

Keep safe and warm in snow country!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like everything else, it's a tradeoff. Big snow = great skiing.
Now when we head to Taos we leave the big truck at a friend's where the roads get plowed. Coming back, we pick up the truck and the RAV4 follows it the last 20 miles to our house, including 8 miles of unmaintained roads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts