Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Rav4 Sport has 18" tires on it, how many Rav4 come stock with 18" tires.?:serious

·
Registered
419 Posts
nice looking Rav4
Thks sparky - we sure like our 2008 Limited v6 / took me 6 months of searching, as I don't pay extra markup at dealership.
- it was a Doctors vehicle, with a meer 89,xxx Km
- and bought it private, last summer
Driving over 40 years, and never owned the Toyota brand before.
- problem is, their so reliable / many people just keep driving used ones

Now wife has her v6 RAV4 with leather & moon roof / and in January this year, I bought a mint 2000 4Runner SR5, v6, 4x4 - one senior owner & rust free original paint.
- and both his & her vehicles / are black...another first here...Go figure !!

Test fitting 2013 Highlander allow rims - they only had 800 Km and 3 weeks old.
- found on Canadian Kijiji, 6 hours away / half inch wider than 17" Limited stock rim
- guy puts winter steel rims on his new Toyota and goes on vacation
- comes back a week later, finds T4R stolen out of his driveway
- original wheels, sitting in garage & won't fit clear brake calipers on 2014 model, with 19"
- love the 2013 "v" groove detail, on the 7-spoke Highlander design

Since we are talking about rims, I will likely walnut blast my 4Runner rims to be ready for powder coat / something in a metallic gun metal color.
I have a commercial cabinet blaster, need to wire up the 2 stage air compressor.
- sons 2015 Lexus, has beautiful wheels / color better than cast aluminum, with clear coat

Gen3 4Runner - Dad's vehicle for week days & we use wife's RAV4, as family ride.

2015 Lexus RX350 19" rims - stunning color.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Highlander wheels look really good, better than the Limited wheels. Maybe I'll look for a set. Thanks.
^^ :cheers:
I looked for 3-4 months on computer, as I wanted original equipment Toyota rims only
- those Made in Japan / and not Made in China aftermarket rims, that are cast with recycled materials (lacking design strength & quality control ISO system standards)

Our 2008 RAV4 came with very rusty winter steelies & factory 17x7" alloys (in garden shed).
Kijiji $800 - fixed that problem, with the purchase of the 2013 Toyota rims.
- and these 17x7.5" Highlander rims when mounted still had a nice +1" clearance, on the backside

Luckily, the junk rims were on the RAV4 when it was advertised / previous buyer walked away.
(presentation kept the price down / ended up saving $5,000 Cdn. avoiding Dealerships)
- and guy failed to see, the rest of the 2008 Toyota was totally rust free
- I crawled under vehicle, in the pouring rain & underside floor pans still covered in shinny black paint...SOLD

Firestone Destination Le2 = great tire & reasonably priced.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Did you instal the wheel flares or did they come that way?
^^ Wheel well flares / came as standard equipment, on 2008 Limited's for the Canadian market.
- much like the Canadian Limited came with the 3,500# tow package included, without ordering it as an option

Our local dealer told me, the v6 was dropped after the 2012 RAV4, because a fully loaded Limited was only a few thousand dollars cheaper, than a new Highlander v6 & more vehicle/value for the money.
- so the top RAV4 model, had grown too expensive here, and sales were soft for the most costly model

The flares, do accent the RAV4 nicely & really protect the fender lips from winter snow & road salt.
- still a rust free vehicle, after 8 years of driving in the Ontario rust belt
We purchased RAV4 last summer / and had vehicle properly oil spray undercoated, last fall / and will be done yearly, using a wax-oil formula (much like Fluid Film).
- judging by the rust free used condition, doesn't appear that the factory flares trap moisture
Very pleased with look & benefits, from good factory flares.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I knew about the tow package, but was not aware about the flares on the 08...I have then as well and love them...I read that Toyota ended the v6 cause it was eating into the sales of other more expensive vehicles...a base rav4 can be had much cheaper than other Toyotas that can tow that much...I will never own an suv with a gutless motor...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I knew about the tow package, but was not aware about the flares on the 08...I have then as well and love them...I read that Toyota ended the v6 cause it was eating into the sales of other more expensive vehicles...a base rav4 can be had much cheaper than other Toyotas that can tow that much...I will never own an suv with a gutless motor...
^^ Same here.

Son bought a new 2015 Lexus RX350-v6, last December.
Salesman said, "I'll show you the NX200 first".
I said:
- is it a 4 cyl. ?
- does it have a turbo ?
- and does it need 91 octane gas ?
Salesman said - Yes / Yes / Yes.
I said:
- NO / Not even looking, at it
- sons not paying 20 cents/Liter extra, on fuel
- when sons Lexus becomes mine, I'm not paying for a turbo rebuild, down the road

We will keep our v6 Limited for 3-4 years, and when the miles are higher / my twin brother already wants it, for his wife / he spoke for our 2008 RAV4 someday, on the day we purchased it used.
- will be getting this Lexus / already have a duplicate set of brand new 19" alloys, with winter tires
- these split-5 spoke rims really stand out, but their 19's

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ Wheel well flares / came as standard equipment, on 2008 Limited's for the Canadian market.
- much like the Canadian Limited came with the 3,500# tow package included, without ordering it as an option

Our local dealer told me, the v6 was dropped after the 2012 RAV4, because a fully loaded Limited was only a few thousand dollars cheaper, than a new Highlander v6 & more vehicle/value for the money.
- so the top RAV4 model, had grown too expensive here, and sales were soft for the most costly model

The flares, do accent the RAV4 nicely & really protect the fender lips from winter snow & road salt.
- still a rust free vehicle, after 8 years of driving in the Ontario rust belt
We purchased RAV4 last summer / and had vehicle properly oil spray undercoated, last fall / and will be done yearly, using a wax-oil formula (much like Fluid Film).
- judging by the rust free used condition, doesn't appear that the factory flares trap moisture
Very pleased with look & benefits, from good factory flares.

the flares do look good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thks sparky - we sure like our 2008 Limited v6 / took me 6 months of searching, as I don't pay extra markup at dealership.
- it was a Doctors vehicle, with a meer 89,xxx Km
- and bought it private, last summer
Driving over 40 years, and never owned the Toyota brand before.
- problem is, their so reliable / many people just keep driving used ones

Now wife has her v6 RAV4 with leather & moon roof / and in January this year, I bought a mint 2000 4Runner SR5, v6, 4x4 - one senior owner & rust free original paint.
- and both his & her vehicles / are black...another first here...Go figure !!

Test fitting 2013 Highlander allow rims - they only had 800 Km and 3 weeks old.
- found on Canadian Kijiji, 6 hours away / half inch wider than 17" Limited stock rim
- guy puts winter steel rims on his new Toyota and goes on vacation
- comes back a week later, finds T4R stolen out of his driveway
- original wheels, sitting in garage & won't fit clear brake calipers on 2014 model, with 19"
- love the 2013 "v" groove detail, on the 7-spoke Highlander design

Since we are talking about rims, I will likely walnut blast my 4Runner rims to be ready for powder coat / something in a metallic gun metal color.
I have a commercial cabinet blaster, need to wire up the 2 stage air compressor.
- sons 2015 Lexus, has beautiful wheels / color better than cast aluminum, with clear coat

Gen3 4Runner - Dad's vehicle for week days & we use wife's RAV4, as family ride.

2015 Lexus RX350 19" rims - stunning color.
Beaumont 67, U have some nice vehicles, Iam seeing 19" wheels on one of them yipes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ :cheers:
I looked for 3-4 months on computer, as I wanted original equipment Toyota rims only
- those Made in Japan / and not Made in China aftermarket rims, that are cast with recycled materials (lacking design strength & quality control ISO system standards)

Our 2008 RAV4 came with very rusty winter steelies & factory 17x7" alloys (in garden shed).
Kijiji $800 - fixed that problem, with the purchase of the 2013 Toyota rims.
- and these 17x7.5" Highlander rims when mounted still had a nice +1" clearance, on the backside

Luckily, the junk rims were on the RAV4 when it was advertised / previous buyer walked away.
(presentation kept the price down / ended up saving $5,000 Cdn. avoiding Dealerships)
- and guy failed to see, the rest of the 2008 Toyota was totally rust free
- I crawled under vehicle, in the pouring rain & underside floor pans still covered in shinny black paint...SOLD

Firestone Destination Le2 = great tire & reasonably priced.
Yes, those are surely rusty rims.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, those are surely rusty rims.
^^ Those rusty rims, turned the first buyer away (lucky me) / and he thought the rest of the RAV4, was a POS
- Michelin tires, only on for a winter season / so essentially free-expensive tires
The rusty rims, didn't look good in the Kijiji photos either, and scared potential buyers away.
- the negative presentation of the otherwise mint v6 Toyota, saved me $5,000 cash
The 2013 Highlander takeoff rims were bought off Kijiji, for Spring/Summer/Fall use.
- when i get a nice set of used alloy rims / I use HD valve stems with stainless steel caps, rated at 100 psi (spec. for 10 ply truck tires)

2013 Highlander v-grooved 7 spoke design alloys, is pretty on the Gen3 RAV4.
- best $800 I spent, on the used Limited
sparky - check out my valve stems / look sure beats the cheap, black rubber ones.

Beaumont 67, U have some nice vehicles, I am seeing 19" wheels on one of them yipes.
^^ Thks. sparky, only took me 40 years, to own Toyota's...now Sold !!
- problem is, few good ones, come up for sale locally
You might know - why the red dot, on the 19" tire rubber ??

The Lexus 19" were brand new, never put on a vehicle / list was $5,400 incl. 13% tax.
- came with TPM's and BridgeStone winter tires (0 miles) / Kijiji find $2,400 cash
- I bought the wheel package, over the phone / while son was headed to Dealership, to pickup the new RX350

My wife loves her 2008 Limited 4x4 & going through snow this winter, was amazing / traction wise.
Me...I'm more of a truck guy, why I am overjoyed with my older v6 4Runner SR5 with true 4x4 and full frame.

My other weakness, is GM of Canada muscle cars / 1966-67 Beaumont & Chevelle's.
>:D made me do it !!

1967 Beaumont Sport Deluxe, 396-350HP, M21, 411's, strato buckets, factory tach, big blook hood...is my pride & joy / SK purchase and last driven in 1985 / now ready for a frame-off restore.
- 451 total model year production when new, so extremely rare today
- was a 10 year big block only, '67 SD car search / for the iconic wholly grail

Putting the 283-v8 hardtops, up for sale / just removed from long-term insulated storage.
- always attracted to the tunnel roof-line & timeless sheet metal styling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts