Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 1994 RAV4 (a barn find, not in good condition - but saveable!).

The interior has been stripped due to mould, but the chassis and engine isnt too bad. Trying to convert into an off roader.

Looking for some advice on a lift kit (available in the UK) for something like (INSA Turbo dakar mud terrian either 235/60 16 - 235/70 16).

Not done this on a RAV4 before only a defender. Thinking 35mm would be OK?, 40mm at most - but looks like I may need to adjust other components for that.

Has anyone done this in the last year or so and has a good UK lift kit supplier? - or any advice on the above?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You basically have two options - Tough Dog or Old Man Emu. Both are a ~30mm lift but the OME kit only comes with new shocks for the rear, whereas the Tough Dog kit comes with shocks for all 4 corners, plus the option to upgrade to larger bore adjustable rear shocks. You can also go the strut spacer route but that won't give you any additional wheel travel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the sw20 mr2 rear springs with some coil spacers designed to take out sag. In the rear. I then cut thick wall 4 inch od pipe at 2 3/8 inch, welded that to the top of the front strut, then welded a new strut top onto the 4 inch pipe. Didnt need to replace anything else except the front axles as the increased angle on the cv joints tore the old dried out boots. Also needed a new alignment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I did the OME lift and while it was only supposed to lift the RAV4 about 30 mm it actually did over 40mm (tired old sagging springs). It comes with new springs and shocks, but no struts. I added Gabriel Ultra Gas Struts along with a new strut mount and boots.

It really improved the ride and body roll and it was a fairly painless install. The improved ground clearance is a big help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man, If I found a clapped out old RAV4 in a barn for cheap, I'd find a Land Cruiser, or some other solid axle 4WD with the same or similar wheel base and put the RAV's body on that chassis and call it done. 2-2.5 inches of lift is nothing, and by the time you're done customizing the RAV's suspension to try to get more lift and wheel travel you'll either be broke or insane. Personally, I think a RAV4 with a complete Range Rover Discovery undercarriage would be cool, I'd pay to see that, but I wouldn't pay FOR it. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts