Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1994 Rav4 L Auto and she has only done about 96500 km now suddenly the idling has started to play up
When I first start her it's fine she idles at about 1200 rpm, then when I put her into drive she idles at about 850 - 900 rpm which seems ok. Now the problem starts when she is warm, the temp gauge at half, the rpm in drive goes up to about 950 which I think is a little high. I have to say that this doesn't always happen. I have a lot done to her in the past 6 months. The trans oil & filter, engine oil & filter, spark plugs, new battery and both the IAC & throttle body have been cleaned by Toyota. The guy at Toyota said if the problem continues I would need a new throttle body and here in New Zealand that is quite expensive.
Can anyone please give me some advice, thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'd _guess_ the idle air control valve needs replacement -- my problem was worse, and obvious just after cold starts. Rockauto.com sells aftermarket ones, but you also likely will need a o-ring-type IACV gasket from Toyota.

Could also be the oxygen sensor.

If you haven't changed the air filter lately, it's time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi LugNut,

Thanks for that, I had the gasket seal done just last month by Toyota so it looks like a new IACV, well if it has to be done so be it, thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

How do I tell if there is a vacuum leak and wouldn't the guy at Toyota have heard or seen this.

It's just getting frustrating not knowing and I'm not sure whether I trust the guys at Toyota.

Do you think I should get a second opinion, I use to go to a guy before who was reliable but he had apparently played with the throttle bolt or so Toyota said, but I'm not sure he would do that, anyway thanks for the advice, if you have anymore suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have adjusted the throttle bolt to make my Idling lower to save gas during rush hour traffic. For months it's been an angel, giving me 750 to 850 rpm of idling. The body's vibrating and all but that was fine back then. Now, my idling is on an insane mentality.

Cold start idle (ac on) - 1,500
Warm up idle (ac on) - 1,200-1,300
Warm up drive (ac on) - 1,000-1,100
City driving idle (ac on) - 950-1,000
Idling After 2-3hr of driving (ac on and off) - 850-950

I couldn't get the bolt back on its original position because it'll just rev higher on idling and it's not a good idea to shift on D while the idling is on 2,000 rpm. Also I lost the nut that holds the bolt after a few months after, and I can't find any nut that fits in it. So now I'm stock on my current idling problem.

*** For vacuum leaks, hear if there are any hissing noise. Also, feel the hoses if there are any air leaking while on cold start. Check the hose on the MAF sensor as well, the hose might be too clogged up inside already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts