Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've had this Rav for a good four years and its never given a problem!
she's got 133k on the clock and now she's started misfiring, when she starts doing it she will idle at 1500RPM with the engine warm,
so far I've changed the plugs, Leads, Cap, rotor arm and the coil, which was in the distributor stupidly, the only thing i haven't replaced is the ignition ignitor which is on the bulkhead.

i'm pretty sure its an ignition issue as when it starts to do this and i turn the engine off it refuses to restart, it has a very weak spark at this point.... normally after I've done 5 or six miles.

I've cleaned out the throttle body and run some injector cleaner through the fuel system with new filters...

at my tethers end with the thing now!

Anyone know what could cause this?

Tom

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Is she throwing an codes, you can take her to most parts stores and they will check for codes through your OBDII. Or, you can buy a relatively cheap OBDII reader that is USB, Bluetooth, or WiFi, this will talk to your smartphone, tablet or computer.

How do you know you have "weak spark"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesn't have a plug to plug in an OBD scanner in unfortunately, just a plug that says diagnostics which my OBD won't plug into!

Ive pulled the lead and put a spark plug onto it when she starts playing up, i don't get a check engine light either!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
it doesn't have a plug to plug in an OBD scanner in unfortunately, just a plug that says diagnostics which my OBD won't plug into!

Ive pulled the lead and put a spark plug onto it when she starts playing up, i don't get a check engine light either!
If british RAV4s have OBDII ports they will be under the dash on the driver's side. Sorry I didn't pay attention that you have a Union Jack flying. Not a problem you can still follow Scotty Kilmer's videos diagnosing some of the issues that it could be.

Another thing to check is your fuel cap, the seals go bad and cause all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First off, it's time to replace all vacuum lines on that engine. A vacuum leak can cause several performance issues. Next change the fuel filter unless it's new. Next, since you already changed most of the ignition system except for the "ignitor" which I'm assuming is the ignition module, go ahead and change that, as a bad module will either quit altogether, weaken the spark, or go senile and cause any manner of ignition malady. Hope this cures it for you. There are 10,000 RAV4's in the world being sold cheap or crushed for dead weight because the $100 ignition module went bad, what a waste.

Learn to diagnose these problems and piss on the OBD crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts