Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that any Toyota models made before 1998 will not be able to use E10 fuel, however I believe that the 1998 and 1999 ravs use pretty much the same engine as the 1996. Is the the difference really going to be that detrimental. I'm not sure?

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As your flag is UK suggest contacting Toyota UK and ask them - should be a phone number in the front part of the Owner's Manual, if you still have that. Other UK forum members such as Bigphil555 may also have the answer.

Reactions: Bigphil555

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've been using E10 to E15 here (87 octane, via the (R+M)/2 test method) for many years. IDK if U.S. models were equipped with more ethanol-resistant rubber/plastic parts, though.
Do you mean using a similar year rav?
I'd assume the engine is the same in every country. But I'm not an expert. Maybe I should phone them

·
Registered
321 Posts
We've been using Ethanol fuel since the 70's here in the states with no real issues. If my 98 Camry (That I junked due to not being worth fixing anymore) was able to reach 350,000 miles (About 563,000 km) with it's 5sfe then I'm extremely confident that the 3sfe can handle it just fine. Heck, my 98 Rav4 has 230k miles on it and still running strong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nearly all modern electronic fuel injected vehicles are equipped to handle ethanol blends. Part of that is because some states and localities use ethanol while some use none, and some use higher or lower octane, so the ECU has been designed to handle a little variation. Even if you mistakenly fill up with E85 the worst that could happen is you get a CEL from burning too lean.

Ethanol blending went hand-in-hand with fuel injection development through the 70's-80's, it was part of many initiatives at the time to reduce reliance on constrained oil supplies. I've previously converted a couple of Toyotas to even run on E85 with a simple injector kit and they run great, so it's usually only a concern for older vehicles pre peak-oil crisis.

·
Registered
77 Posts
you can still fill up with super unleaded which contains between 0 & 5% ethanol but cost about £1.50/ L!
Not familiar with your engine: carbs or fuel injection, with or without knock sensor.

I think the compability is more to do with damage to the engine fitting: rubber, plastcs etc rather than the internals.

You can expect a drop in mpg of about 2% and off course the other know issues with ethanol and water absorbtion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts