Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only had this rav4 for 2 weeks, I went to add some oil for the first time and saw this sludge build-up on the cap and inside. Is it normal to have some build-up in this area?

pics:Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I just bought one of these to see if i can take a peek inside before i go removing the valve cover. DBPOWER Industrial Endoscope HD 720P 2 Mega Pixels USB Borescope Inspection Snake Camera with 6 LED 1M Probe 8.5MM Lens Tube-in Surveillance Cameras from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I plan on doing some sort of flush but I hear they can only clean so much. I just want to figure out how much buildup theres been to get an idea of how well this car has been taken care of.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
If the engine oil and filter have been changed according to Toyota's maintenance schedule and replaced with oil which meets Toyota's spec., and if the engine has been operated so that it quite often reaches reach normal operating temperature for long enough to evaporate accumulated moisture there should be very little or no sludge accumulation. If you can get your finger inside the engine oil filler and move it around that part of the inside of the valve cover there ordinarily should not be any sludge which gets onto your finger if the engine has been properly maintained.

If there is a lot of sludge I would be cautious about doing a heavy engine flush since that could dislodge so much material that it clogs oil passages. It would be better to do a few lighter flushes in succession if that is the situation.

Reactions: ravfoe

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't flush. Just do a few more regular oil changes. The engine is what it is. If it's been damaged by poor servicing, then flushes won't fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right right, Im not asking for flush advice........ I'm just asking for how to check for sludge buildup and if its normal to see it in those areas.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Pull the valve cover! that easy. That's the only real way to gauge how bad the issue is. As was said, sludge is caused by going too long between oil changes. While that's not the worst I've seen (by far), it's definitely much more than what Toyota would consider "normal" (and they have a very loose definition of that word). Pulling the cover wont take long, might as well do the valve cover gaskets/spark plug tube grommets/pcv valve/cam plug reseal all at the same time (easier than it sounds).

And yes, It's normal to see it in those areas. You'll see it anywhere oil vapor/smoke can collect (such as under the valve cover, and in the oil sump), and it's also a possible indication that your PCV is clogged up. If it is BAD, bad, don't flush it. As was said, just do oil changes, but cut the oil changes down to maybe 1500-2000 miles for a while, and use a good oil and filter (NOT SYNTHETIC unless it's already running synthetic. That would just cause more problems).

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO castrol makes one of the best non-synthetic oils available. Suppose to be the best at preventing sludge. Change the pcv valve whether it needs it or not and start changing the oil more frequently with castro non-synthetic and see if that helps.

If it does help and you aren't burning too much oil you can try these products to help get it cleaner. Also might help you run a tank or two of shell premium gasoline I heard it the nitrogen based cleaners are pretty good and probably the best gas you can buy for cleaning.

AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush

How does the throttle body look? Does it look clean? You can also try this and use a little every now and then to clean the throttle body.

AMSOIL Power Foam®

Might want to do the plugs just to make sure you are getting a good clean burn and then change them after the initial clean up again.

Guaranteed somebody didn't change the oil at proper intervals.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
IMO castro makes one of the best non-synthetic oils available.

:smile:D::D::wink I....just.....couldn't help it!!!!!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
IMO castro makes one of the best non-synthetic oils available.
Who knew? :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
IMO castro makes one of the best non-synthetic oils available. .

So that's the secret formula for them keeping all of those vintage 1950s cars running for all of these years!:wink

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Yes we did.......just a little friendly ribbing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts