Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1997 Brake lights stay on even when car turned off. - Resolved

4828 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  iowagold
Fellow Ravers

My 1997 rear brake lights are on constantly even when car is off. I found a small broken plastic washer on floor that appears to go between brake light switch and pedal arm. If I pull up on the pedal the brake lights will turn off. but if I release it to normal position they turn back on. Does anyone know the part # for said washer/spacer? A new brake light switch doesn't seem to have it included based on photos I see online. I'm not even sure how it mounts on pedal arm or switch, it does not appear to have been glued. Can I fashion a replacement or duct tape it back and hope clearance is right? Thanks.
Reactions: Elle_Rav4
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
Can I fashion a replacement or duct tape it back and hope clearance is right? Thanks.
Yes you can. In this case whatever works works.

Reactions: Dasher

· Registered
2,390 Posts
That means you have brake lights "on" while driving - that's a highly dangerous thing because people behind you cannot see when you are really braking. That's why is illegal to drive the car like that.
I thought that there is an adjuster nut on that switch?
Toyota RAV4 Service Manual: Brake pedal - Brake (trav4.net)

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
To back up a little the reason the brake lights don't go off with the key is they get live power that doesn't go thru the key.
And as SoNic points out it's at least dangerous and at most likely illegal.

Reactions: SoNic67

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That means you have brake lights "on" while driving - that's a highly dangerous thing because people behind you cannot see when you are really braking. That's why is illegal to drive the car like that.
I thought that there is an adjuster nut on that switch?
Toyota RAV4 Service Manual: Brake pedal - Brake (trav4.net)
I understand that and agree. Hence I am promptly working to rectify it. I will check your link. Thanks.

Reactions: SoNic67

· Read Only
1,400 Posts
The cushion labeled 47131 below is for the brake light switch on a first generation Rav4. It is likely what you need. It is Toyota OEM p/n 90541-06036.

For the archives, the switch at the brake pedal is p/n 84340-32090.

I too have seen these cushions for switches on the clutch pedal and brake pedal wear down and require replacement.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cushion labeled 47131 below is for the brake light switch on a first generation Rav4. It is likely what you need. It is Toyota OEM p/n 90541-06036.
View attachment 170484

For the archives, the switch at the brake pedal is p/n 84340-32090.

I too have seen these cushions for switches on the clutch pedal and brake pedal wear down and require replacement.
Elle
Thank you! So if im seeing it correctly on your diagram, there is a stem that passes thru the pedal arm mount hole that holds it in place much like a cosmetic panel plug or fastener does?

Reactions: Elle_Rav4

· Read Only
1,400 Posts
Dasher, yes. Not sure you googled on the p/n, but doing so turns up photos of the actual part, like this:
As much as it looks like one could make one of these cushions out of (xyz), I have found grabbing one from a salvage yard is the most reliable fix. If you have a salvage yard near you, maybe just head there.

A buncha Toyota models from 1986-2018 use this little cushion. Put the part number in at ToyoDIY.com to see most (but not all) of them. Put your VIN in at ToyoDIY.com to confirm it is the right part for your Rav. Drill down to "Powertrain/Chassis" and then illustration 47-01.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elle,
Thanks. It took a bit cuz I googled wrong part # . 😮(my bad). To my surprise it is $1.40 plus tax at my local dealership. 😃 It will be there tomorrow! In the meantime super glue and duct tape has it holding and working correctly. I'll get the new one installed likely tomorrow. Thank you for the yomans work of the part number and diagrams. I love this forum for the quick knowledgeable answers!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
The nylon piece is bad about getting brittle and breaking off. tell tail sign is pieces of a small plastic ring on the floor board. I have replaced several. here is a permanent solution. sand one side of a penny and the tab then super glue sanded side of the penny to the sanded tab where the nylon bushing was, then wrap a small piece of duct tape around the penny and tab. Your problem is gone for ever. I had this problem on my honda crv and didn't notice the brake light was staying on.when I did notice it was on it had already melted the lens on the center brake light.

· Registered
601 Posts
use laundry detergent bottle to make a new plastic button
and super glue stack them for the shim spacing.

yup been there on this in the service shop.
all brands of cars and trucks.
brake light switches just go bad over time on the plastic.
replace the switch and check the button shims and adjust to correct on off spacing.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
use laundry detergent bottle to make a new plastic button
and super glue stack them for the shim spacing.

yup been there on this in the service shop.
all brands of cars and trucks.
brake light switches just go bad over time on the plastic.
replace the switch and check the button shims and adjust to correct on off spacing.
Wow! Here we are over a year later on this thread. I guess I never reported back its full resolution.

Whilst I love creative inexpensive DIY fixes more than most, At a $1.40 for OEM part and 10 sec. self install I cant see going to all the effort for this other fixes except in a pinch. I love this forum for its creativity tho!!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts