Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their fuel injectors, did you do it yourself? was it hard to do? and did you find a great improvement in performance? if anyone has thoughts on this, it would be great to hear it, thanks,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
You should check with DJ Sueno. Recently he worked with them.
Mensa is correct... 8)

I have changed the injectors, and let me tell you, it's not a fun thing to do.... for one you have to remove the valve cover to make it easier to access the injectors... and there are I believe 4 hex nuts holding it in place... If I recall they are 32mm, I could doublecheck if I can find my socket.... also make sure you buy injector o-ring/seal kit, to replace all the orings and seals, and get extras because it is possible you may tear some when reinstalling... Be sure to check for fuel leaks because that is a major fire hazard....

I have done it a few times and my opinion is if you have to do it, it's better to have a mechanic do it, because at least then you can take it back or have them liable for any problems...

Good luck...

--DJ

K

·
0 Posts
32mm diameter hex nuts? Blind me. You sure you don't mean length?

Those little buggers are hard to reach and not for DIY mechanics.

·
Registered
880 Posts
kidong said:
32mm diameter hex nuts? Blind me. You sure you don't mean length?

Those little buggers are hard to reach and not for DIY mechanics.
There's 32mm hex nuts on the top of the valve cover, I don't know if they hold the valve cover down or just hold the spark plug tubes in though. I have a bicycle headset wrench that fits them if I ever get the urge to find out :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys, I think I might leave it for the mechanics to do, the fire hazard part is something I didnt think about, thanks,,,,,,

·
Registered
542 Posts
maybe a dumb question, but why would you want to change-out the injectors?

another question... is the rav4 3s-fe sequential injection (each injector squirts at a different time) of do the all squirt at the same time?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
maybe a dumb question, but why would you want to change-out the injectors?
There are different reasons.... usually one of the main reasons people change them is to upgrade to higher flow, for more fuel... I upgraded to higher flow because of having turbo I needed more fuel...
A thing to keep in mind though, is if bigger injectors are put in, you will need a fuel controller, otherwise the car will not run properly, idle poorly, etc, without proper tuning...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts