Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997, Rav4.1, UK, Manual (RHD)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been a member here for a while, but haven't posted much, I have been working on a project 1997 manual RAV4.1( UK RHD if that matters), and after a lot of work to servicing the engine, replacing gaskets, exhaust amongst a lot of other repairs/upgrades, it has come time to replace the fluids!
It was parked for 4 years before I purchased, so I'm replacing all fluids from engine coolant, to the rear diff oil.

My only issue, the owners manual doesn't mention how to fill the transfer case, it only shows how to drain it. I can only find tutorials for automatics which all seem to fill it through the dipstick, which the manual doesn't have.

Do the gearbox and front transfer case share the same fill plug but have separate drain plugs?
And are any of the plugs left hand thread?

Thanks for any information in advance!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
find tutorials for automatics which all seem to fill it through the dipstick, which the manual doesn't have.
IDK for manuals, but are you sure there isn't a dipstick? It is very hard to find -- down very low, almost horizontal, behind the right front tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The manuals have the same fill plug, just like you said. And yes they drain separate from each other.

Just take out the fill plug, then both drain plugs. Let it drain for awhile, until it barely drips, put back the drain plugs and fill it up. It's super easy, the hardest part was taking the plastic splash shield off to get access.

As for fluid, make sure you use the correct fluid! Please refer to eodgator's extensive thread on transmission fluids. Personally, I used Eneos 75w-90 on my 99 awd and love it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't got the fluids for it yet, wanted to make sure I had everything worked out first (drain and fill points) but wasn't sure if it was the same fill point, as the manual states two different oils for them, but I will find eodgator's post and have a look! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
643 Posts
-- Here is an excellent video of removing (1) the transmission case drain plug; (2) the transfer case drain plug; and (3) the single filler plug (serving to fill both the transmission case and the transfer case):

-- For the transmission case's drain plug, I found a shallow 15/16-inch (= 24mm for socket purposes), 3/8-inch drive socket fit. A 24 mm, 1/2-inch drive socket was too tall.

-- All the plugs are conventional, right-hand threaded (clockwise to tighten).

-- Remember to buy new crush washers (gaskets) for the drain and fill plugs.

-- Attached is the pertinent service manual chapter for the 1996-97 Rav4. One can search for "drain plug" and then "filler plug" and see drawings of their locations. Also the manual specifies the torque on the plugs:
transfer case drain plug, 29 ft-lbf
transmission case drain plug, 36 ft-lbf
filler plug, 36 ft-lbf

-- Many people here, including myself, have found that Red Line oil is the best. Red line's web site will tell you what oil to use: Red Line Synthetic Oil . It says to use its MT-90, 75w90, GL-4 oil, sku 50305 for one gallon. The same oil by the quart is sku 50304. Amazon and other online dealers sell it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's funny Elle,

My 24mm 1/2" fit perfectly. I had to use a wrench on the trans drain plug, but otherwise my socket worked. Weird.

YMMMV I suppose!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Elle! That is a lot of very useful information, and it will keep me right when doing this fluid change!

·
Registered
643 Posts
kamakeraion, miscommunication? Both a 24 mm and 15/16-inch socket will work, as long as they are not too long. (That's why you had to use a wrench and not a socket for the transmission case drain plug?) Non-metric sockets are much cheaper than metric sockets, so I went with the non-metric socket. I found a short 15/16-inch socket (3/8-inch drive) at my local Home Depot for like $3.50.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I think I mistook you saying the 24mm would not fit. I just used my older than dirt HF impact socket and it worked great. As for the transmission plug, I could have raised the front and gotten my socket/ratchet on there, but I was feeling lazy, so I used my long wrench instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts