Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side door lock/latch on our 1997 rav4 does not work when the weather gets very cold. The door will not unlock/lock
and sometimes will not latch. When parked in a heated garage the door will work again but will malfunction again soon after drivng in cold weather. What could be the problem?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had this same problem also. Particulary after a rain or wet snow and then a deep freeze in the twentys (f). A short term fix was to use lock deice and WD40 on the door latch. I am glad to to see the TSBs. I would like to try the first one with the covers myself because I believe it is a water freezing issue. Does any one know Where I can order the parts listed for the best price or should I get them from the dealer?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Seems like this may be a common problem....
I have a similar problem which happens as well, sometimes I have to hold the key to the right when unlocking in order for the door to stay unlocked just to open the door...

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's the 9th winter we have our RAV4 and it's the 9th winter we have this problem.

1st and 2nd winter, the dealer has made many repairs, without sucess. :(

Tomorrow, I will check to be sure plastic shields have been installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have found it difficult to open the door from the outside. I will try holding the key to the right. I believe that will help because I have found it is difficult to exit from the inside. To do so I must roll down the window, hold the lock fully open from the inside (it usually retreats about halfway back towards locked after I engage the electric unlock) and then lift the exterior handle and give a good push on the door to open it. Then it will not latch closed till the mechanism is warmed or deiced as I mentioned before. :x

·
Registered
122 Posts
The plastic is in place.
So, that dones not solve the problem.

Today, I've put a lot of syntetic oil on mecanism. That's work for a time.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me too!

I have posted about this problem on the old forums. It's not just a moisture problem for my '96; but happens frequently when it's below freezing. and dry I think the lock/latch assembly is badly designed. I had the whole thing replaced in August at the dealer's suggestion ($400) Guess what? It's freezing up again now that the temp dropped. Can we put pressure on Toyota to address this? Frankly, it's dangerous, depending on where you are when the locks decide not to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts