Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Rav4. It has 130k on it. Recently I have started hearing a knocking/ticking noise (like the sound of the valves ratteling when the rpms of a manual tranny car are to low, and the valves start knocking. It sounds like that. Also there has been a decrease in gas milleage. This only happens when there is a strain on the engine, mainly going uphills, once the rav shifts down and the rpms go up, the knocking goes away. So far I have changed, the oil, Plugs (twice), wires, dist. cap and rotor, the fuel filter, and ran fuel treatment in it. What do you guys think it could be, or my next step should be. I am new to the forum, so thanks alot for your info. Brad

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey brad. WIth the ticking noise on idling, it sounds pretty fair to me. It's not really the valves, but the injector noises that gives the ticking noise at low rpm you hear.

As with the low mileage you get. What is your mileage out of a tank? Also does it use any oil?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt tick or knock at idle, or when you start it cold, or anything, only when you are climbing hills on the highway, or when loaded down. Its doesnt burn oil at all. The mpg currently are 20, which is lower than ussuall. It use to het 24-26. Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are you familiar with the term "ping".....pre-ignition. Sounds like someone rattling stones in a tin can under load...??? Try a "full" tank of premium gas on your next fillup........if it goes away with the higher octane, it's ping. Sometimes some of these injector cleaners burn so hot they remove a lot of the carbon etc in the cylinders and change the compression and burn characteristics......

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does go away when I use high octane gas, well it did for awhile, and then and started to occur again. Almost like it got used to the high octane and decided to start doing it even when I run high octane. So what would fix this, new injectors.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I'd suggest you try a good tuneup shop, one that ppl you know recommend, or a dealer..........I'm guessing timing slipped, or weak spark.........
On the fuel side......I dunno if you get ping with too rich or too lean.......
G/L

·
Registered
181 Posts
If its an early 97 it should still have a distributor....

Could be something as simple as the timing being too advanced

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be the distributor might need some tune up. If you have a timing belt light, have it check out and make sure it's sitting within the acceptable 10deg range. I would have the damn thing down factory spec to check it out.

It maybe something to do with the winter gas problem.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluenoser said:
I'm no mechanic, but I'd suggest you try a good tuneup shop, one that ppl you know recommend, or a dealer..........I'm guessing timing slipped, or weak spark.........
On the fuel side......I dunno if you get ping with too rich or too lean.......
G/L
Ping (AKA detonation) usually occurs with a lean mixture.

Time for a tune-up. You said it went away with higher octane fuel, and now its coming back slowly. Could be fouled plugs, weak spark, worn rotor, worn dizzy pickups, off timing, clogged injectors, dirty throttle body, etc. Do what is due and then start looking for other problems. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a bottle of injector cleaner, but honestly, if your pinging on high octane fuel (91-94) you're gonna need something a bit more than a bottle of techron.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just about a week ago, put new plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button, and ran a few bottles of injector cleaner in it, and changed the oil, and the the fuel filter. So I guess all that is left is some kind of a hard core fuel cleaner, maybe a timing belt.. And Then I dunno, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts