Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Rav4 L. AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My 97 rav just had the water pump go out. Instead of spending the money to tow it, i was going to install a tow bar on teh front and pull it behind my sequoia to the shop.

(EDIT WITH ANOTHER QUESTION: automatic transmission, should i even tow it, even if it is only for 7 miles?,)

Well, Other than drilling 7/16 holes in the bumper plate, I don't see any other way to mount the tow bar.

does anyone know if this is a terrible idea or do you think it is good to go? (most people I know do drill into the bumper (and yes I removed the cover adn would be drilling into the metal plate that is the actual bumper).

Just using a haulmaster from harbor freight, but everything i have read says it is a great deal and works well after you mount the brackets.

Thanks

fireball

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why not just replace the water pump yourself? Good opportunity to learn the timing belt replacement procedure. (water pump should always be replaced when the timing belt is done)

I don't think towing like this is a good idea, but I've been known to do some sketchy stuff myself, so I can't judge.

For the price of the haul master you could probably hire a car trailer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts