Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced timing belt on my 1997 RAV4. Broke while in operation. Closin up but installed battery backwards, quickly corrected battery install. Engine turns but won't start. Like its not firing or getting any gas. Checked all fuses, fuse box under dash and fuses under hood, all ok. Anyone know of what else I need to check? Thanks in advance............

auauna

P

·
0 Posts
Standard fault finding - check for a spark at the plug lead, if there isn't one work back through the electrical system. If you have a spark, it'll be fuel. Check outlet pipe on fuel filter to see if it's coming through, if not, work back again. Did you depressurise the fuel system? If you've got the belt even a notch out, it won't fire because the spark will be out of synch. Having looked in Chiltons about replacing timing belts, I'd need a couple of drinks to even attempt it! :lol:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hope you checked the rest of the engine as well. If a timing belt breaks there is usually a lot of damage inside the enigine, cylinder, valves etc.
If everything inside is ok it sounds that you didn't put the belt on time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Don't worry about damage. This is a non-interference engine. But my guess would be that the belt isn't on correctly. Which if I remember right, can cause it to do absolutely nothing. Or run like total crap if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replys. Storm rolled in through the weekend, unable to get back to the car outside. Hope to get back to it tomorrow. Will follow up on all your suggestions, and post results. Thanks again .................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts