Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My wife left the keys to our RAV4 on the roof of our IX35 car whilst she was putting the baby in the back. She then forgot about it and drove off.

So, having lost both keys and both remotes (they were on the same keyring, as I currently have the car for sale), I had an automotive electrician break into the car and cut me two keys.

He said to take the car to Toyota to get new remotes paired. However, I recall that it had an aftermarket keyless entry installed. Question is where is it located? I was hoping the unit would have reset button and I could re-pair remotes myself. I've had a look around and I can't see anything under the drivers seat. I suspect it is behind the glovebox or centre console.

The RAV is a 5-door 1997.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I've been told there are generally 2 places most keyless entry systems are placed. The actual "box" could be under the passenger glove box or under the driver seat. There might/should be an "antenna" under the driver seat or possibly passenger. Antenna Although these are the most popular that I have found, I guess they could be placed almost anywhere. Let me know what you find because I am kind of in a similar situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I've removed the console and removed the glovebox.

I've found the car's ECU behind the console, but haven't found the aftermarket receiver. No trace of it from under driver/passenger seat, behind glovebox, behind/under the console, nor behind the driver's dash.

Where would the keyless receiver be located?

My thoughts now are that it will be tucked behind one of the side panels behind the rear seat.

Here's a couple of pics of the Toyota ECU:
Pic 1
Pic 2

·
Registered
599 Posts
I removed an aftermarket alarm module from one of my RAV's, it was under the dash on the drivers side, behind the plastic trim under the steering column

what year ix35 do you have? I got a 15 model last year and love it to death :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed an aftermarket alarm module from one of my RAV's, it was under the dash on the drivers side, behind the plastic trim under the steering column

what year ix35 do you have? I got a 15 model last year and love it to death :D
Thanks mate, I had a look under the steering column, but maybe I had a man look. I'll open it up again and have a woman look.

We have a 2014 IX35 SE. Great car.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
How about behind the driver's side kick panel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about behind the driver's side kick panel?
Boom!

Thanks Aussie50 and JuneBug. After looking around the steering column a second time, I decided to remove the door panelling in driver's footwell, where the keyless entry module was sneakily located.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts