Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently did a top end overhaul on the Rav. Head freshened up at the machine shop, new gaskets all around. New oil pump, and resealed the oil pan.
Problem: There is an oil leak near the coil packs that was there before the job, and I was thinking it may have been the cam cover gasket. I cant for the lif of me figure out what else is up there that uses oil. Ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Recently did a top end overhaul on the Rav. Head freshened up at the machine shop, new gaskets all around. New oil pump, and resealed the oil pan.
Problem: There is an oil leak near the coil packs that was there before the job, and I was thinking it may have been the cam cover gasket. I cant for the lif of me figure out what else is up there that uses oil. Ideas?
Back in April, I brought my RAV4 in to have a fuel induction service done as a last ditch effort to get the IAC Valve unstuck (worked and still doing great!), when I came to pick it up, I stood outside and chatted with the mechanic. Great guy. He used to work at the dealership I actually purchased the RAV from as a master tech. He told me I had an oil leak just below the valve cover gasket and it was from a round metal plug in the head that plugs the port where the distributor once was before Toyota switched to coil packs. Instead of redesigning the heads after coil packs, they just simply put a plug in the hole and he says its a pretty common oil leak spot that can be mistaken for a leaky valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Maybe oil pressure switch?
Its more on the front drivers side of head but they can spray oil if you have a mystery leak. When mine went it was a slow constant leak

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was going to say, my first thought would be the o-ring on the distributor shaft. The shaft o-ring leaks out, the internal o-ring leaks in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nits on the driver's side. It can only be seen looking from underneath, and is running along the bottom of the heater hoses under the throttle body.
Will check the distributor hole.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts