Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the rear (2,3) ignition coil pack without removing the throttle body for access to the bolts?

Its a long story but for anyone interested, I replaced the spark plugs on my 1998 Rav4 with 162,000 miles on Saturday and noticed a bit of oil on the boot of the number 3 spark plug. A quick internet search explained why that was and I now know I need to replace my valve cover gasket and spark plug seals. I am a very inexperienced home mechanic, but I can manage to do an acceptable job if I am slow and methodical. The valve cover gasket seems doable to me so I ordered the parts along with a new set of wires.

As I was surveying the job, I realized that the number 4 spark plug wire is attached to the ignition coil with sealant. That tells me that perhaps the top of the coil is cracked, or there is some other issue that prevented the wire from making a good connection. The existing wire is firmly attached, but I am thinking I ought to replace both ignition coils out of an abundance of caution.

The Haynes manual says that the throttle body needs to be removed in order to access the bolts for the rear coil pack. That is a bigger job than I have ever done and I am concerned with running into a problem and leaving me without a car. The whole reason I bought this car was to use for the summer whilst my daughter is home from college, during which time she is driving my 2014 Santa Fe. I can't be without a car.

I'll have my Santa Fe back in September, at which point I don't mind pulling everything apart and taking my time putting it back together, and I am fairly certain the RAV will be fine until then considering there wasn't a whole lot of oil on the spark plug boot...BUT IF I could be assured of being able to get to the ignition coil bolts without removing the whole throttle body, I'd be inclined to give it a shot sooner.

As always thank you for your collective expertise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's for the reply LugNut. It looks like it should be possible, particularly if you remove the air intake rubber which Is much easier than removing the throttle body, and I thank you for the confirmation that it can be done. I can be ham handed at times so I will make sure to have a magnetic pickup tool handy just in case. I think I'm still gonna wait till September...just to make sure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the rear (2,3) ignition coil pack without removing the throttle body for access to the bolts?

Its a long story but for anyone interested, I replaced the spark plugs on my 1998 Rav4 with 162,000 miles on Saturday and noticed a bit of oil on the boot of the number 3 spark plug. A quick internet search explained why that was and I now know I need to replace my valve cover gasket and spark plug seals. I am a very inexperienced home mechanic, but I can manage to do an acceptable job if I am slow and methodical. The valve cover gasket seems doable to me so I ordered the parts along with a new set of wires.

As I was surveying the job, I realized that the number 4 spark plug wire is attached to the ignition coil with sealant. That tells me that perhaps the top of the coil is cracked, or there is some other issue that prevented the wire from making a good connection. The existing wire is firmly attached, but I am thinking I ought to replace both ignition coils out of an abundance of caution.

The Haynes manual says that the throttle body needs to be removed in order to access the bolts for the rear coil pack. That is a bigger job than I have ever done and I am concerned with running into a problem and leaving me without a car. The whole reason I bought this car was to use for the summer whilst my daughter is home from college, during which time she is driving my 2014 Santa Fe. I can't be without a car.

I'll have my Santa Fe back in September, at which point I don't mind pulling everything apart and taking my time putting it back together, and I am fairly certain the RAV will be fine until then considering there wasn't a whole lot of oil on the spark plug boot...BUT IF I could be assured of being able to get to the ignition coil bolts without removing the whole throttle body, I'd be inclined to give it a shot sooner.

As always thank you for your collective expertise.
Gday, I'm doing this same thing and wanted to ask how you went with it and what tools you used, I know its an old thread but would like any advice or tips on removing the 2-3 coil pack . Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts