Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin let me just say it is a 1998 Toyota rav4, manual with 205k miles.

So recently what happened is I haven't driven my rav4 for about two weeks and I am in a cold climate(Alaska) and I did install a trickle charger so that the battery could always be good to go. Well I had my vehicle plugged in for charging and a couple of days ago I came out and it was unplugged and looked like someone tripped over the cable and unplugged it...I went to start it and to no surprise the battery didn't have enough charge to get the truck started. Not too big of an issue considering I have a jumper box and I hooked it up, went to cranking and all it will do is crank, sometimes it'll seem like it wants to start but never will.

I checked for spark.. it has spark. I figured maybe moisture had built up in my fuel tank, enough to cause an issue. So I got starter fluid and took off my intake so that I could spray directly into the throttle body and it doesn't seem at all effected by the starter fluid. I've read that the fuel pump on the 4.1 rav4 starts not on the "ON" position, it starts while cranking and you can hear it after attempting to crank(which I can).

What I don't understand is how leaving the vehicle to sit for two weeks would cause a problem except for the drained battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add I bought this rav4 back in May and I have done the timing belt, water pump, changed the spark plugs and wires. Before I had it sitting it didn't have any hiccup at all

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
So I got starter fluid and took off my intake so that I could spray directly into the throttle body
I'll assume you meant the inlet hose, and not the entire intake manifold ...

So, with the starting ether, it didn't fire at all?

Put the trickle charger back on it to make sure you have a strong battery for the next tries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll assume you meant the inlet hose, and not the entire intake manifold ...

So, with the starting ether, it didn't fire at all?

Put the trickle charger back on it to make sure you have a strong battery for the next tries.
haha yeah my apologies, I meant the inlet hose. I've had the trickle charger on since Monday and I've been trying ever since. I don't think the battery is the culprit at the moment

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
The RAV4.1 will often fail to start with a weak battery, a trickle charger may not have enough oomph to charge the battery enough. If you don't have a charger, take it to most any of the auto parts stores and they will charge it and test it for free.

When you pull the battery, remove the battery ground from the fender, wire brush the fender and the cable end, put dielectric grease on it and bolt it back down, wire brush inside the terminals and the battery terminals themselves. Easy with a battery terminal wire brush. If the terminals wont clamp tightly to the battery posts, do the following:
- remove the clamp bolt
- using an angle grinder, saw, or file, remove about an 1/8" or so of material where the two parts meet to clamp down on the battery, repeat if necessary.
- when you get the battery back fully charged, the terminals will now clamp firmly.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And a compression test would be a good thing to do next.

Any signs of rodent-chewed wires? But if you are getting (enough? consistent?) spark ...

Today i'm going to get the upper timing belt cover off and see if maybe my timing belt had jumped.

I don't have the gauge for a compression test but I might just go ahead and buy one today.

As far as all wires I've seen, none are chewed up but I will admit that my distributer has gunk build up. again though this hasn't hindered the rav4 before. it was running literally perfect before I let it sit for 2 weeks :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found the cause to my issue. My timing belt jumped and it was off by a decent amount. All that I did for now is loosen the tensioner and pry it down so that I could get the belt off of the Cam side and then rotate and align the Cam marks and pop the belt back on and tighten up the tensioner and there it goes.

Once it gets warmer out I'll end up getting back in there but doing this at 10 degrees outside isn't all that enjoyable

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Great news!! Just make sure you follow the proper procedure for tensioning the timing belt or you will be right back in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news!! Just make sure you follow the proper procedure for tensioning the timing belt or you will be right back in there.
When I first did the timing belt I know that you have to remove all of the slack on the right side of the belt, which I did.

I had heard the belt "slapping the cover" but I couldn't understand it because I followed the procedures right and I looked it up online and people people had a similar issue and it had to be tghtned more to where you can't hear that at start up. It was confusing because it didn't seem like I could get anymore slack out at the time but I evidently I could've because look at what happened right

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Nope, that's not the correct procedure. Follow the steps listed on this link, particularly the last phase of the install, if you don't you'll be doing it again. I know because I did it the same way you did and had to do it over the right way, which worked.

Toyota Repair Manual: How to Change Timing Belts on a Toyota Rav4

Oh, to get that upper timing belt cover off and back on I found it was a whole lot easier to do if you break free the driver's side transmission mount so that you can shift the engine and tranny over further. Of course you have to make sure you are supporting the engine and tranny, but you were doing that anyway I'm sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, that's not the correct procedure. Follow the steps listed on this link, particularly the last phase of the install, if you don't you'll be doing it again. I know because I did it the same way you did and had to do it over the right way, which worked.

Toyota Repair Manual: How to Change Timing Belts on a Toyota Rav4

Oh, to get that upper timing belt cover off and back on I found it was a whole lot easier to do if you break free the driver's side transmission mount so that you can shift the engine and tranny over further. Of course you have to make sure you are supporting the engine and tranny, but you were doing that anyway I'm sure.

yeah haha, I was trying to get the damn thing off without having to take the mount off and it just wasn't cooperating. It is times like this where I completely hate living in a cold environment with no garage.

thanks for the link

1 - 13 of 13 Posts