Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Having a problem with my 1998 Rav4.1.

I thought I'd give it a service as I had a few days free, so I started with the timing belt. Got it all on there fine (although the engine mount was a PITA!!). Although now when trying to start the engine, it just turns over.

From what I can tell, there is no spark and no fuel going in. From what I've managed to find on the internet so far it could be:

- Immobiliser - does pressing unlock on the keyfob disable this? Or is there another way to turn it off?

- The ECU, although I didn't touch it

- Fuses / relays. I've checked every fuse in the car, they are fine.

- There is a sensor on the crankshaft, could this be the problem?

The car was working fine beforehand, so I suspect it's something I've done!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved!

It was the lead from the crankshaft sensor which had been worn out by a belt. It's been soldered back together and cable tied out of the way where it should be safe from wear.

·
Registered
234 Posts
cool deal----I was about to comment that if the rav was running before you did the timing belt then it was something you had your hands on that changed...

Good on ya for tackling the timing belt. That is more than I would ever attempt to do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a suspicion it was something I did... but it's so much easier to blame the car rather than myself. In about 10 times out of 10 though, it's something I've done =p

It was actually not as bad as I first thought... it'd never been done before, so a lot of the bolts were really stuck on there, got it in the end though. I used one of the Haynes books as guidance - they explain simple things in massive detail, and harder things with no detail :S The most important thing I did was just take my time, and not be frightened to just jump in.

Worst case scenario you can just get it towed to a garage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.