Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna flush and replace coolant on my 1998 Rav4 i see it has green coolant in it which.i think maybe incorrect ? What color and type coolant should.i.be looking for ?
and.how.much 2 jugs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should replace it with Red Toyota long life coolant, it takes slightly less than 2 gallons if your doing the entire flush (radiator and block).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really looking at the napa supreme extended life stuff think its yellow or green
If it says import safe is it good to go?
Also thanks for the advise on the YOTa REd stuff proper
But im on budget and im CHEAP lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1 for the Toyota red. Seriously. It will outlast any "supreme extended life" stuff you get off the shelf. Get some distilled or demineralised water from the supermarket laundry aisle; it's cheaper than from the auto shop. Use that to flush, then run, then flush until it's clear. The system takes 8 litres in a manual and 7.7 litres in an automatic, so just add 4 litres of concentrate and top up with distilled water.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gonna flush and replace coolant on my 1998 Rav4 i see it has green coolant in it which.i think maybe incorrect ? What color and type coolant should.i.be looking for ?
and.how.much 2 jugs?
Yes, green is wrong. It has silicates which are reputedly hard on Toyota’s water pump seals.

There are alternatives to Toyota’s coolant, Pentosin’s Pentofrost A1, and a few others. But you’ll find that the alternatives are nearly the same cost as Toyota’s red. Last time I bought a gallon at my dealership, it was about $20. The red is a concentrate, so it’s to be diluted 50/50 with water, so it’s really not too bad.

·
Read Only
1,401 Posts
I have done a few flushes on my 1998 manual tranny Rav now. The service manual specifies the system holds 8.5 quarts. But every time I have replaced the coolant, only about six quarts come out using the radiator drain, the engine drain plug and by emptying the coolant reservoir. About 2.5 quarts always remain in the system. I believe this is because (1) the thermostat is closed when draining a cool engine; and (2) the following retain coolant even after the radiator is drained and the engine drain plug is removed: the Water Pump Housing; the Cabin Heater; the Idle Air Control Valve; the Oil Cooler; and the pipes and hose that service all of the latter. At Elle's 1996-00 Toyota Rav4 Site, the guide "Coolant Flow" has some drawings of the 3SFE engine coolant system that show this.

For a Rav transitioning from green coolant (or really old red coolant) to new Toyota red coolant (or new aftermarket Red spec'd for Toyotas), the guide also has a suggested "bleed and feed" approach to (1) get a good flush; and (2) achieve the right concentration of coolant in the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts