Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks im new to the site was wondering where i can find some torque specs info on toyota Rav4 engine im trying to do the timing belt noticed the reason why im doing the timing belt is do to high km on motor and seals are leaking so i will and attempt.to.do the seals too
Really in need of the following torque specs

Crankpulley bolt ?
camshaft bearing end caps bolts?
Camshaft sprocket bolt?
Oil pump housing bolts?
Oil pump sprocket nut?
Timing cover bolts?
Timing belt tensioner bolt?
Engine mount bracket bolts ?

Also valve cover 30mm nuts?

Thanks coyota

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Everything is in foot pounds unless indicated (First number) newton metre (Nm) (second number)

Intake manifold nuts/bolts 168 inlbs 19
Intake manifold brace bolts 31 42
Exhaust manifold nuts/bolts 36 49
Engine balancer assembly mounting bolts 36 49
Crankshaft pulley to crankshaft bolt 80 108
Idler pulley bolts 31 42
Camshaft bearing cap bolts 168 inlbs 19
Camshaft sprocket bolt 40 54
Oil pump body to pump case 78 inlbs 9
Oil pump to engine block bolts 78 inlbs 9
Oil pump sprocket nut 18 24
Oil pickup (strainer) nuts/bolts 48 inlbs 5.5
Oil pan to block bolts 48 inlbs 5.5
Oil pan to oil pump bolts 48 inlbs 5.5
Spark plug tube nuts 33 45
Passenger side mount bracket to engine bolts 38 52
Passenger side mount to engine bracket bolt 27 37
Passenger side mount to engine bracket nuts 38 52
Passenger side mount to chassis bolts 47 64

You may also want to take care of the water pump while you are there.

Water pump bolts 2000 and earlier 80 inlbs 9
Water pump pulley bolts 15 20
Water inlet housing bolts 88 inlbs 10

Hope this helps

·
Registered
609 Posts
The attached pdf file is about replacing the timing belt.
The installation section in this attachment is important for setting the belt tension.
It is way down on page 7 and easy to overlook.

View attachment 79690

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i dont see the pdf though im abit confused on torque specs some dont make sense foot pounds seem easier

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Everything is in foot pounds unless indicated (First number) newton metre (Nm) (second number)

So the 80 is ftlbs and the 108 is Nm
If it says 40 inlbs then it is in inch pounds (inlbs) rather than ft pounds. 12 inlbs = 1 ftlb.

CAUTION: DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH THAT USES FOOT POUNDS TO TORQUE ANYTHING IN INCH POUNDS OR YOU ARE VERY LIKELY TO SHEER A BOLT.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks i dont see the pdf though im abit confused on torque specs some dont make sense foot pounds seem easier
Click on the attachment.
First time I posted this file it had a nice description, but this time the site only calls it an attachment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got the rav4 timed however im a lil conserned about how tight the timing belt needs to be?
Is their any procedure in adjusting it or maybe the timing belt self adjuster can be not string enough?
Just seems a lil sloppy seems tighter under side than from the top?
Any ideas or method to check?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well got the rav4 timed however im a lil conserned about how tight the timing belt needs to be?
Is their any procedure in adjusting it or maybe the timing belt self adjuster can be not string enough?
Just seems a lil sloppy seems tighter under side than from the top?
Any ideas or method to check?
Did you try the installation section of the pdf file?
Step 3 is where the tension gets adjusted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I anyone out there can screen shot the pdf page or instructions and post it as a pic
That would be great and help out lots
let me know
And thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
COYOTA you need to get a better pdf reader or something, but here is the section. I cannot do the figures because they use up my attachment space.

Installation
1. Ensure that No. 1 cylinder is set to TDC on compression stroke by temporarily installing No. 1 timing
belt cover and crankshaft pulley. Align groove with timing mark "0" on No. 1 timing belt cover. Ensure
that camshaft and timing belt match marks are aligned. Remove crankshaft pulley and timing belt cover.
Install timing belt. If reusing old belt, ensure rotation direction and mating marks are in correct position.
2. Install timing belt guide on crankshaft with cup side facing out. Install No. 1 timing belt cover, crankshaft
pulley, and crankshaft pulley bolt. Loosen No. 1 idler pulley 1/2 turn to tension timing belt. Slowly turn
crankshaft pulley 2 revolutions from TDC to TDC.
3. Check that each pulley aligns with timing marks as shown. See Fig. 5 . Slowly turn crankshaft pulley 1-
7/8 revolutions and align groove with mark at 45 degrees BTDC (for No. 1 cylinder) of No. 1 timing belt
cover. See Fig. 7 . Tighten No. 1 idler pulley mounting bolt to specification.
4. Place right engine mounting bracket in position, but do not install bolts. Install No. 2 timing belt cover.
Disconnect engine wire protector between cylinder head cover and No. 3 timing belt cover. Install No. 2
timing belt cover. Install engine wire to No. 2 timing belt cover. Install engine wire protector to mounting
bolts of No. 2 timing belt cover.
5. Remove crankshaft pulley. Install engine mounting bracket-to-engine bolts and tighten to specification.
Install crankshaft pulley, and tighten pulley bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That worked thanks so basically when timing belt is on proper and lined up with marks 0 tdc
loosen tensioner bolt off
Rotate engine 2 revolutions check marks again at TDC
if lined up turn crank 1 and 7/8 revolution look at mark on lower timing cover that will be mark btdc 45
Tighten the timing tensioner down to 31 pound or so
Done

Spin it anothet 4 revolutions and check it agian see if difference in belt tension from then and now

Heres how i pulled the main seal a puller i made

https://youtu.be/38xO6-5-_os

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Do you know where the 45 degree BTDC mark is on the engine block?
And make sure your lower sensor is in place, that you didn't leave it hanging if you accidently took it off.

Go to download.com and get yourself a good pdf reader and/or use chrome as your browser if using a PC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol no i will test start it after i check it over asap with out alot of stuff hooked up other belts and such
the 45 d3gree mark is also on cover align with crank pulley mark on my cover its notched into cover

Here

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Yes that's the mark. Looks like you've got it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No i tryed it seem like im still out a tooth or two or 180 dregress out i need to know which cylinder is number one passenger side or drivers?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts