Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I am new to this Forum !

The questions I have are about towing and the 1998 Auto RAV4.

I just purchased a hidden hitch trailer hitch and a trailer so I can haul more stuff with my Rav4; but of course I kinda lost my manual :oops:

Oh by the way Plywood will not fit inside a RAV4 no matter which way you turn it. :)

Things I need to know is what gear would you recommend that I tow in, the recommended weight for that gear and the max speed.

Any info would be helpful...

Thanks for you help...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Welcome!!!
When I had my '98 Rav auto AWD, I towed a VW Scirocco on a dolly trailer a number of times with it. Highway speeds were no problem and I used the ECT(?) sw in power mode to raise the shift points and let the trans do the shifting. The Rav has an overheat lite (A/T) in the dash for the trans and it never came on. I was more concerned with braking than pulling, so left lots of room ahead. :wink:
My RAV had the factory hitch, 150 lbs/ 1500 lbs rating. 150 being the tongue weight and 1500 the gross weight. I was a little over gross but no problem. If you're into serious trailering, you might want a trans cooler......some of the tuners on here can suggest some.....

Re plywood sheets.....no, but I have carried a 36X80 door inside and I've got the wear spot in my hair to prove it..... :lol:

BTW......can I borrow your trailer sometime???...... :wink: :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Bluenoser.

Did you drive it with Overdrive on or off when you were towing?

The trailer I bought is a 8 x 8 Snowmobile trailer with salt shield.
Living in Wadena County they tend to put about 1 foot of salt to every i inch of snow that falls. :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mish
I usually let the trans do the shifting and with the ECT in power it'll down shift earlier under load. But approaching a real steep hill with 2200 lbs on, I'd switch out of o/d so as not to loose "any" momentum on the hill. The '98 doesn't have a lot of power or torque.....What a difference when I got the '05 in the spring... :shock:
Re the road salt, I know what you mean......and we've got salt spray from the ocean as well.... :roll: Salts so bad I took off the alloys and put snows on steelies for the winter.
Did you find the A/T lite in the dash on startup......overheat warning for the trans......good to know if trailering......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mish! My wife's 99 is rated to tow 1500 lbs max with the factory towing package. It's not very safe to exceed the factory recomendations for towing. Most people recommend towing with the auto trany O/D turned off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts