Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post so please let me know if I am omitting critical details.

My Rav4 ran into issues this morning. I filled up with gas, and about 3 miles later, it just sputtered and stopped while I was headed down the road. I guided it into a parking lot and coasted into a spot. I tried to restart it, but it only coughed and tried a bit, and then went straight into turning over without much to show for it. I towed it home and have been playing a delightful game of "Find the electrical fault" ever since.

Here is the long and short of what I have done.

Replaced the fuel filter. While replacing, I turned the ignition to flush the line a bit in case some dirt had fallen, With the key in the on position, no go and no dulcet tones of a humming fuel pump. I had to turn over the engine to get the fuel pump to move anything. I put all the fuel filter stuff back together, prayed, and no go.

I then checked on the fuel pump. The voltage to the fuel pump was 0 on the two pins for the pump. I went back to the circuit opening relay that they had cunningly stuck in a place that required the agility of a ninja coupled with the size a pygmy to properly access. I could make the fuel pump hum if I ran a jumper between pins 3 and 5 of the Circuit Opening Relay with the key in the On (not starting) position. I checked the voltage across the relay's input pins (1 and 2) and it was 4.4 to 4.5 volts when the key was on. It seems they relays should use 12 volts, but I am not sure.

I started to try to find look for the EFI relay, and that is when I understood that all at Toyota are not good hearted and hard working souls who delight in making reliable cars. There are some black hearted knaves at toyota, creatures of the very abyss, who put relays in places where they never should be placed. What kind of horrible monster puts relays on the back of a fuse panel behind the dash, and in no way visible? And how do they then convince Haynes not to tell you where to find them? Dastardly, I say. Ninja pygmy's would never fit in that space. Ninja Leprechauns might be able to do it, if you were lucky.

Anyway, I finally found the doggone things and ended up checking them a bit. I couldn't find anything wrong with them.

At the end of the night for kicks and giggles I tried spraying some ether in the intake to see if it would catch a bit. No go. I think the ignition sw (as read from the engine control system wiring diagram) is all fouled up. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find an issue there either.

I guess my questions are, does anyone have an easy answer? If not, how do I get to "ignition sw" so I can play with my multimeter and find out where I am going from 12 volts to 4.4 volts, or am I just not getting it at all.

So anyway, I don't seem to have adequate voltage to the relays, and it started in the middle of driving, but I do have some voltage...

Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pin 1 of the circuit opening relay to ground should be 12 volts with the key on.
Pin 2 is controlled by the ecu, if you measure pins 1 and 2 on the relay you are checking the coil in the relay.

This pdf file is the relay locations for your Rav4, from the factory shop manual. Chilton's is a good general reference book , but the Toyota shop manuals are focused on just the RAV4. They also have tons of useful tips and hints about your Rav4.

The place you insert the key is on one end of a barrel bolted to the side of the steering column, the ignition switch is bolted into the other end of the barrel. The barrel also contains the mechanism to lock the steering wheel.

When the pump hums, does it pump fuel?

Attachments

Reactions: Elle_Rav4

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looking further in the manual, The ecu doesn't turn on the fuel pump when you turn the key to on, it waits until you start cranking the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roundabout,

Thank you much. I will check those pins vs ground to see if the connections are what I think they are. I will also loosen the connector the the fuel pump and see if it spills fuel everywhere. Do you have any other recommendations?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts