Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil on my automatic rav and accidentally drained the tranny fluid, put new oil in with the old oil, drove it maybe a mile before I thought something wasn't right. I realized I drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil. So I put more tran fluid in and changed the oil again with new oil. All fluids are good including the oil filter but now when I put it in drive and rev the engine it doesn't accelerate, when I put it in reverse it's fine. I'm not sure what the problem is I need some advise.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
You didn't really drain the transmission fluid, only about 1/3 of it. That's all that comes out at the drain plug. So now you have a cocktail of 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 transmission fluid in your transmission.
At this point I'd recommend having a so-called fluid flush to replace all of it. The term "flush" scares some folks because they assume it's some kind of a power flush that'll loosen up gunk and cause problems. It's actually just disconnecting the lines at the cooler and feeding fresh fluid as the transmission itself pumps the old out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I flushed the fluid just as it should be and I'm still having the same problem, I used dexron III tran fluid so no issue there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You didn't really drain the transmission fluid, only about 1/3 of it. That's all that comes out at the drain plug. So now you have a cocktail of 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 transmission fluid in your transmission.
I don't think he added motor oil to his transmission, but pulled the wrong drain plug, drained his transmission pan and then OVERfilled his oil. Then drove with too much oil, not enough tranny fluid.

Am I correct there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts