Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1999 RAV4 3 CD Changer Problem/Question

7K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  USMCUSAFbiker 
G
#1 ·
Hi! I'm a new RAV4 owner as of today (99 2.0L, auto trans, 4dr, a/c, pwr doors, windows & locks, AM/FM cass w/CD changer), and I have a question. When I put CDs in the 3 CD changer cartridge and put it in the CD player, then push the CD button, the player will select the first CD, but then the message "Err 1" comes up on the display. The same thing happens with discs 2 and 3. I ran a diagnostic on the stereo (thanks for the TSBs, by the way!) and the CD changer came back with the code "C9." This wasn't anywhere in the table provided in the TSB. What does that mean? And how can I repair the CD changer so it works again? The seller knocked $500 off the price just because of that (everything else was perfect, and it only had 65,000 miles on it), so I'm prepared to live with it, but I'd sure like it to work. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be grateful! :D

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums, Loneranger :D

My suggestion.... replace the 3-disc changer with an aftermarket unit or the newer 6-disc in-dash unit. From what I've heard over the years.... the 3-disc unit you have will give you nothing but headaches. The cartridge on these units is a VERY POOR design and was discontinued several years ago :(

G
#4 ·
And yet another question...

Say I wanted to replace the entire unit (radio and changer) with an aftermarket unit. Let's also say that I have a hole where one of the existing units used to be (because the new unit is an all-in-one). Is there anything I can buy or find to fill the second hole, like a little cover or a storage cubby? Thanks again.

G
#6 ·
Interesting picture. In my RAV4, the radio head-end is down below, right over the cupholder, and the CD changer is above in the dash. I guess it doesn't make that much difference where they go.

Where would I find some sort of storage cubby or cover plate, in case I buy an aftermarket unit?

G
#7 ·
My factory 6 disc in dash changer is giving me errors and not reading disks. I have already pulled battery cable, and gave it a couple of blasts of canned air to try to clear it out, but neither worked. I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas on how to fix this thing. Just recently purchased vehicle and was going to be making some trips this summer and hopefully wanted to get it fixed before then.

If this doesn't work then, which changers will work better factory wise. I would prefer to keep it a factory system for compatability reasons.

Brandon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.