Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I just bought a 1999 RAV4 $500. I love the vehicle the only downfall is the extremely rough idle when in drive and at a standstill is shakes like crazy as soon as you accelerate it goes away also a P0420 code popped up today went to AutoZone and it had to do with the catalytic converter. If anybody has any information on this I just joined this form to try and figure this issue out. Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is it a California engine, or a federal engine. Makes a difference with this code.
The first step for both engines is to find and fix any exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to check when I get off shift. How would I go about checking this? And also do you think the vehicle is okay to be driven until it can be fixed next week

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know that code shows up a bit for the Suzuki Sx4 (i have an 09) usually it's for the pre-cat or the O2 sensors

·
Super Moderator
10,211 Posts
I will have to check when I get off shift. How would I go about checking this? And also do you think the vehicle is okay to be driven until it can be fixed next week.
The rough idle is likely unrelated to the P0420 code but don't be concerned with the code since it's only emissions related. It is common on older cars with 200,000 miles as their catalytic converter effectiveness start to decline. Happened on a friend's 2003 Civic with 230K a year ago and just the other day on another friend's 2004 Caravan with 245K.
The first thing to try is heating it up by driving in a lower gear for 5-10 minutes to rev the engine to 4,000 RPM or so. This worked on the Caravan but not the Civic.
I won't go into the technical explanation but altho the one in this video isn't completely correct his the method does solve the problem and it did on the Civic. No P0420 code nearly a year later.

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
816 Posts
Code P0420 had been coming up on my 1998 Rav4 pretty much since I bought it in August, 2018. I bought it from a licensed used car dealer. It had passed emissions back then just fine. Per much guidance on the internet, a few weeks ago I installed an RC filter in the rear oxygen sensor's circuitry, underneath the front right seat. It's been a few weeks. So far, so good. Here are a couple of photos explaining the modification:

A DIY for building the RC filter appears here:

If after several more trips on the highway this is still working, I will post back to confirm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts