Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spring that pops open my gas cap cover when you pull the release has broken off. I've still got the spring but the plastic tabs that hold it on have fallen off.

I'm not too confident about finding a glue that will secure metal to plastic, particularly when there are also possibly gas fumes and the Florida heat in the mix so I'd like to replace this part - as it is I've either got to have 2 people to open it or I have to wedge something under the latch release (my squeegee handle works).

I've googled for "RAV4 gas cap cover", "RAV4 fuel door", "RAV4 fuel cover" and every other combo I can think of but can't find anyone selling this - though I may just not know the correct term to search for.

Anyone know where I can buy one of these online? If I have to buy the whole housing including the door I'd like it to match - it's a maroon (dark red, slightly metallic) 1999 4-door RAV4.

I suppose I could take the whole thing off but besides looking bad and probably being less aerodynamic my gas would likely be siphoned these days, and my gas cap might go missing too.

Any info please CC any replies to [email protected] - I'll check here too though.

THnx

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Same exact thing happened to my door release spring. The plastic clip holding it in place broke off. There is an easy fix for it though that has lasted many years.

I used a product called JB Weld. It is a putty like substance that when mixed together forms a strong bond. That has held together for more than a few years without any problems. And the gas door pops open on the first release of the lever everytime. You should try it, it works. May not look that pretty, but who cares; nobody will see it until you fill-up for gas. :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll try that.

I tried super glue but as I said I've got little confidence that'll hold for long - it's not great on metal, and most glue isn't so good around gasoline - in fact gas is something I'd try as a solvent if I needed to remove glue.

On an only slightly related topic; anyone know where I can get one of those flip down cupholders for my '99 RAV?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Niloc0 said:
On an only slightly related topic; anyone know where I can get one of those flip down cupholders for my '99 RAV?
The flipdown cupholder is one of the holy grail of RAV4.1 accessories, along with the center console. They are permanent out of stock items from what I've been hearing. But there are some places that probably still have them in inventory, just got to call around. They also do show up on ebay or our own classifieds section now and then. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
As you do your calling around for the cupholder, it would probably help if you had the part number. Here it is: PT547-42971

The JB Weld referred to in an earlier post is the most amazing thing you can buy for sticking stuff to other stuff. I've used it on a multitude of projects over the years and it's NEVER failed me. You can even drill & tap it!

The only suggestion I would make is that you remove the fuel filler door before you attempt to JB Weld the spring back in place so that:

a.) you can perform the repair at room temperature
b.) you can lay the part flat so you won't have to worry about the product dripping/running (which it sometimes does)

Hope this helps.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts