Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I've been working on a 1999 rav4 L that as soon as it hits 3000 RPM it dies. I've done a number of things too it, I've replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and pump, checked all fuses and pcv valve, fixed any and all vacuum leaks, and cleaned the throttle body. We've also tried using a fuel injector cleaner that runs through the fuel to no avail. The car still stutters and eventually stalls out while driving and it's very hard to pass 20 miles an hour.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Check your exhaust system for blockage. I had that same problem with a Civic way back when. Something inside the muffler must have collapsed, causing a restriction and way too much back pressure. At idle and lower rpm's, it ran fine. When it was revved up, I could actually hear a hissing sound from the tailpipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your exhaust system for blockage. I had that same problem with a Civic way back when. Something inside the muffler must have collapsed, causing a restriction and way too much back pressure. At idle and lower rpm's, it ran fine. When it was revved up, I could actually hear a hissing sound from the tailpipe.
I'll give it a try and give you an update with the results, thank you for your input!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,089 Posts
Perhaps the throttle position sensor - see
Test the camshaft position sensor it can cause problems. See http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-...heck-camshaft-position-sensor-code-p0340.html

Bad fuel filter, not likely but it can do it.

A failing map sensor is another possibility. See http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-...-sensor-diagnosis-understanding-function.html

The CAT sensor or a clogged CAT which would fall right in line with JuneBug's post.

All of these things should throw an OBDII code, have you read it or had it read?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tested or replaced the camshaft position sensor, or the map sensor. I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, and I just pulled the cat and started the vehicle and it kept doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,089 Posts
Unplug the throttle position sensor and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
By the way Scotty Kilmer is your friend on youtube with lots of very helpful videos for auto diagnostics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watch a lot of scotty kilmer, I replaced the throttle position sensor today for the exact same thing to happen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts