Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this morning I turned my car on and it sounded like it was ready to grow wings and take flight, in other words, it was like there were 6 blow dryers and 4 vacuums all going off at the same time. It lasted for about a minute, then stopped. I have drove my car to three other destinations and it hasn't happened again. Can anyone help me in figuring this problem out?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Sounds like your electric radiator fans were running. Normally they only run when the A/C is on, or the engine is hotter than normal. They should not be running when the engine is off unless you have a low coolant level. Check that coolant and add some if it's low. You don't want to burn up your engine. If it happens again you will need to find out if it's leaking and where.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
June Bug thank you for the info. I will check the fluid before I go to work. I don't have anything leaking, otherwise i would have a puddle in my garage. Hopefully this is the reason. Again, thank you so much for your help.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Check the fan switch sensor near the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side near the lower radiator hose, it could be going bad which would be a bad thing if it stopped working and didn't come on at all or ran any time it had power. Keep us posted on what you find.

Reactions: tanya50

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update .... so I checked my coolant level and it is perfectly fine and no leaks. One of my friends works part time at O'Reilly's and is a mechanic. He checked it out for me and said the same, that my sensor could be going out. My husband is going to replace it for me tomorrow before the situation gets worse. Thanks a lot for the info and help, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
So did you get her fixed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts